how do you trim an aponogeton?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trimming Aponogeton

Hello all...

What variety do you have? I typically trim plants when I do a water change and trim the leaves as close to the substrate as possible. In the case of some varieties of your plant, you'll want to use a sharp bladed pair of scissors and trim close to the bulb.

The interesting thing about this plant is it grows in spurts and grows a lot of leaves and then slows down and sheds the old ones. Just making an educated guess, since I don't know the variety you have.

B

Your Aponogeton

OK. The variety from Madagascar is Aponogeton "boivinianus". If you have it planted with a few other plants, then it will get fairly tall, in excess of 16 inches. A young plant will grow fast and then slow down with age.

The bulb is the food source, so I think you're safe trimming some leaves close to the bulb. Just remember that this plant grows in spurts and then slows and loses leaves, so it would be good to trim on the conservative side. You don't want to trim too much and be left will a semi naked bulb in your tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom