How far do ruffled swords stretch? New pics 5/27/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I showed pics of my sword extending outside the tank. Well, it is now about 8 inches outside my tank, about 10 inches from the waters surface. How long will it get? I'm hoping it will flower sometime. :)

Oops, forgot the pics.....

It extends from below, and up out the upper left corner of the tank. The pic is taken from the left end of the tank.
75g227.jpg

75g228.jpg

Wow, no idea how far it will reach, but that looks really cool, and your plants must be very healthy if they do that!
Hoping with you that you get some flowers out of it (y)

Hey LWB,

Mine is doing the same thing......must be "that time of the year" or something.

When I got it.....it had a looooong runner on it. From the base it must have been two feet long. Once I planted it, it sprouted two babies. And it looked like it wanted to flower but never did. I think it didn't because the whole runner was underwater.

I've since cut and planted the babies from that runner.
Now I've got another runner.......that is even longer than the first.
So far, i am keeping this one out of the water.
I, like you, am hoping this one will flower.

I'll keep ya posted.

If you keep that runner inside the tank. The little flowers will die (or not form) but you will instead get a new plant from each of those nodes.

I wish mine would get one. I want little ones as the parent plant is way too big. What kind of sword is it and how long did it take?

It looks really cool. My red melon sword isn't quite that full but I keep taking off the lower leaves so I can see the bottom. That's what I get for not knowing my plants before putting one in a 10 gallon tank. Keep it up to date so I know what to expect if mine ever does it.

It's pretty good size, the leaves hit the surface of my 75G, and there's about 8 or 9 leaves on the plant. It's still growing longer, lol. It's got 1 node under water, and 4 more outsside the tank, plus the end of the stem. It just keeps adding nodes, lol. Will put up some more pics here shortly.

Edit:

Here's the pics I promised. It's getting longer by the hour, lol. The last 3 pics are in the tank shots I did after lights out. It'll give you a look at the sword that it is coming from. :)

75g244.jpg

75g245.jpg

75g246.jpg

75g247.jpg

75g248.jpg

Now do you believe me? LOL. Felix likes being the center of attention, lol. Anytime he sees a flash, he's front and center, lol.
75g249.jpg

Mine looks pretty much the same even though my sword is not the same as yours.

Only thing different is I have some flower buds.....oh and I don't have leaves growing on the nodes that are out of the water.

I have a new one that's doing that inside the tank with a couple babies on it. What's the proper method to remove the babies and plant them??

Do you use root tabs? Maybe that is what I need to do to get mine to throw out shoots like that.

Also, hopefully this will help answer your question. I found a site, and have never found it again, but it showed an Amazon sword with the runners like yours. The main difference, it had 11 of them, that I could count and the runners were well over 3 feet out of the tank. I also found a web site that covered the plant non submerged and it showed a solitary plant that had starts from it's runners up to 10 feet away. If you keep this up, you will be able to grow swords in adjacent tanks without taking them off the runner :lol:

Yes, I do use Flourish Tabs. When I first put the swords in, I placed 2 tabs per plant, one on each side of the roots pushed down and against the side of the root. And since then, I add 1 tab per plant about every 2 months.

Here's a full shot of the tank.... (Older image)

75g223.jpg

Edit:
The end of the stem has now added a 5th node, and is about an inch from the end of the stem.

I'm using flourish tabs also.

The leaves on the first node are new......I think cuz it slipped back into the water overnight.

wide-5-06.jpg

Second node...
sword-buds.jpg

Wow LWB I hope you get some flowering buds soon, that would be really cool. It looks like your almost there with the pics you posted. Good luck!

I decided to take an actual measurement, lol. Was nagging at me, lol. It stretches 16 inches past the edge of the tank. Not the surface of the water, but the edge of the tank. It's another 8 inches from the surface of the water to the edge of the tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom