how good is a 26 watt CFL over a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
trying to get everything set in my head before i buy for the new tank. it will be sand gravel planted for a betta and a school of corys. a snail too i think to burrow thru the sand so no gas pockets form. i'd rather not do ferts or co2

You're probably looking at somewhere between low to medium light, so no CO2 necessary and probably only minimal fertilization.

2 13w bulbs would be better than a single 26w IMO. I have used that setup on my 10G for a couple months with 10hrs of lighting and worked OK

Well for mine, 2 20w bulbs is the limit as algae comes into play. Mine has lots of RCS to eat algae and I also use Excel to help control algae. I honestly feel that 2 15w T8 tubes would be better.

I've had both 2x15 watt T8s and 1 26 watt PC on my 10 gallon. The PC works fine for low-medium light plants. I have Java fern, crypts and Rotala rotundifolia in there doing fine. One advantage of the two T8s is that they are a little longer and get more light to the ends of the tank than the PC does.

Another option would be a 24" 2x24 watt T5 fixture...hangs over a bit but I have one of these (currently on another tank) and I think it would do well for a higher-light 10g.

Back
Top Bottom