How high is this lighting on the scale of low to super high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 27g hex has the more exotic species of plants in it simply because its in my room and I like to look at when on my desk..

Anyway, I have 2x T5 Normal outputs 1 daylight 1 colormax, and 2xt8 floramax bulbs... I know watts per gallon is outdated but its 2.3 watts per gallon..

Also I already know pink bulbs are better then 65--6700k daylight bulbs for plants and yet people still recommend 6500-6700k for plants... But I wanted to share that my plants in the tank tend to curve to get directly under my T8 floramax purple bulbs.. vs the colormax/daylight t5... like literally I have them planted under the t5 which is positioned in the center of the tank, but they all curve to the front and back where the t8's are covering.... I think that kinda shows t8 or t5 the bulb is what matters most

Anyway I have 4 lights over my 27g hex.. note the tank is 25 inches tall

The fact that the tank is 25" deep with those bulbs you would have low lighting deep in the tank and perhaps up to a medium light close to the surface. In my 30" deep tank I had to use metal halides to achieve high/very high light throughout the tank.

Pink bulbs are not better for plants, they simply supply more red spectrum color. Plants use color in the red and blue ranges. A roseate (650 nm) bulb really doesn't have a color temp., it is just a good bulb to add more light from the red spectrum. If you can find the visible spectrum graphs for the bulbs you are looking at, you can choose a pair of bulbs that would give a balance through the color spectrum. The color temperature on bulbs just gives an idea of the color output, but it what is put out varies with the manufacturers. The combo of a bulb with more red such as a roseate (pink) bulb combined with a 6500-10K is a good combination to use so plants receive both the red and blue color spectrums they need.

Back
Top Bottom