how is this done/grown??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf baby tears will eventually grow so thick that it will block out light to lower areas, resulting in it coming up like a sheet.

that sounds like it could be a pain.

River gave me a tip as to how to fix that though, so i'm gonna keep it in mind when i give this a try.

i probably should have asked this yesterday but will dwarf grass and dwarf baby tears grow on gravel substrate?

i was planing on doing a 1/2" layer of flourite and a 1/2" layer of mixed gravel(the natural looking gravel)

A nutrient rich substrate will facilitate growth, with a high CEC substrate light flourite or ecocomplete being viable alternatives. But as I've repeatedly stressed, carpeting plants including HC rely extensively on CO2 to thrive and grow into attractive mats.

That being said, HC is one more the more Excel/glut friendly foregrounds, which helps if you're not willing to invest in a CO2 system.

Moral of the story ... great lush carpet plants need proper lighting, certainly CO2, good CEC substrate, patience and ... though arguable ... long enough arms to move them around when planting:brows:.

This is why I gave up on the idea of carpet plants and just use DW and Rocks to hide as much of my gravel substrate as possible. I added PFS a while ago, but it literally feel through the cracks between the gravel:facepalm:.

i've learned quite a bit from this thread and hopefully i can make it work.

thank you all for your advice/input in this matter :)

The one thing that has worked great that even the yo-yo's can't mess with is Pogostemon helferi. It's alittle difficult at first if you get short pieces with small roots to start but once it takes hold and starts growing it makes the thickest forground carpet you could imagine. Your GBR fry would have a field day swimming in that. I have mine planted across the front and back about 3 inches thick on over 1/2 the tank front. I didn't want a full covering carpet but it could easily have been done. It's alittle over 2 inches high and very unique with its leaf shape and texture.

Thats awesome, now i have three options to choose from... you guys/gals are amazing!!

i understand that i will most likely need a CO2 setup to make this stuff work, but now i'm curious about fry and CO2. its not gonna harm the fry is it?

HopefulHobbiest said:
Thats awesome, now i have three options to choose from... you guys/gals are amazing!!

i understand that i will most likely need a CO2 setup to make this stuff work, but now i'm curious about fry and CO2. its not gonna harm the fry is it?

You wouldn't need co2 at all with Marsilea minuta. It grows perfectly fine in low light and no added co2. Still, having co2 and strong light opens up a lot of other plant options.

aqua_chem said:
It grows perfectly fine and perfectly slow.

Definitely true with most plants but the four leaf in my low tech tank is growing faster without co2 than the ones in my tank with co2. Others on TPT have seen the same curious faster growth rate in their non co2 tanks. Makes no sense to me. Maybe it just responds exceptionally well to glute but I dose it in both tanks. Still, I'm a big advocate for going pressurized and all my other plants do better it. I still suspect it may be different over time.

Back
Top Bottom