How is this light???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
36 gallon light qusetion???

Hello, i have a 36 gallon tank and i want to start planting it. It currently just has the lights that came with it, which is a single 8,000k, 17 watt, T8, 24",full spectrum daylight bulb. For christmas i am going to get a new light and want to know what kind i should get.The light has to be on petcos website and let me plant a good variety of plants. Thanks

adammorrill said:
Hello, i have a 36 gallon tank and i want to start planting it. It currently just has the lights that came with it, which is a single 8,000k, 17 watt, T8, 24",full spectrum daylight bulb. For christmas i am going to get a new light and want to know what kind i should get.The light has to be on petcos website and let me plant a good variety of plants. Thanks

First why does it have to be on their website? After looking at their site I would say get the zoo med t5 fixture.

First choose whether you want high lighted plants or low lighted plants.

The light you want is fit for high lighted plants. Just make sure its suitable for your hood. If you want a low lighted plants, use T8 lighting. T8 lighting the light used for most basic hoods.

thanks for the response. I have a 24" bulb and this also has one so i assume it will fit. Also, could i also put low light plants with high light?

If you want that lamp, you'll need a t5 ho fixture. They will not fit into a t8 fixture. T8s are for low light and usually fit into a basic aquarium fluorescent light strip.

How large is your tank?

Yes, you can put low-light plants with high-light bulbs.

If you wanted T5HOs, I recommend Giessman's or Flora-Glo Bulbs. Both are very good adn IMO I love my Flora-Glos. Yet to try Giessman's.

6500K is a common bulb for planted tanks. The questions is what kind of fixture you have, what size of tank you have, and how many of said bulbs you have over it.

I use Coralife bulbs and they do very well and the spectrum analysis pics all look very similar to other top brand bulbs out there. I can't compare directly to other bulbs though as no one else seems to make 30"/31watt bulbs so I have to use Coralife bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom