how long do u have the lights on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m-man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was wondering how long people leave there lights on, i cannot control my GW, tank is only clear for one day after a wc, but ferts are at the right levels, wondered if the lights were on too long, maybe thats part of my problem, i have them about 12 hours

12 hours also but there is a 3 hour period of lights off in the middle of the day. the break in light helps keep the algea from growing.

Mine are on from 7:30 am until I crash...eleven,midnight...somewhere in there..If I stay up later I turn em off.

At my WPG its not an issue algea wise.

As of late, 12 hours due to lack of sunlight. During the summer I had them on 9-10 hours.

m-man,

Does your tank get direct sunlight for any portion of the day? How long has the tank been setup?

Generally GW is present when ammonia and/or direct sunlight is in the tank.

As for the OP, my lights go on at 6:15am, off at 10:30am, back on at 1:30pm, and off at 9:45pm.

The siesta mid-day is used so that I get to appreciate my tank when I'm home, and to possibly prevent algae issues (CO2 levels and nutrients that might bottom out during extending lighting periods can rebound when the lights are off).

Mine on are on for two 5 hour periods everyday. I got GW once just by digging up some plants, my best guess is I uprooted a fert tab. I know it was not sunlight since the tanks are in the basement. Interestingly enough it went away after a few weeks of conscientious dosing and a increase in excel dosing.

I am currently using 10 hours per day. I have one light kick on for 1/2 hour in the AM for feeding. My CO2 runs from 10am to 9pm, and my main light run from 12pm to 10pm.

10-12 hours, depending on the tank. I am also a big fan of "noon burst" lighting -- a period of overlapped, intense light simulating midday lighting -- and find it helps me control growth rate while keeping color in my small tanks.

I have one setup where the main tank is on for 11 hours, all lights are off for a half hour, then the sump/fuge/connected paludarium turns on for 11 hours, then off for a half hour and it starts all over again. This is my funnest tank and the lighting period was originally planned for stability and to mimic SW philosophy, but this lighting setup is more for my amusement than anything else now.

Anywhere from 10-16 hour a day depending on when I turn them on and when I decide to crash. Seems to really make the plants fight for light a little more. I like the idea of the turn off phaze to allow CO2 to build up again. I would have to get a timer to make it work though.

7Enigma said:
m-man,

Does your tank get direct sunlight for any portion of the day? How long has the tank been setup?

Generally GW is present when ammonia and/or direct sunlight is in the tank.

my tank is across from a window, but the window has blinds that are always shut, however light of course goes through during the day and dimly lights the room

mine is on 10-12hrs a day usually 8-8 but if i get out of bed late for class i like to have them off by 9pm at the latest to give them some sorta "standard" night

Back
Top Bottom