How Long Does Eco Complete Last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a Aqueon Evolve 8 to replace the Fluval Chi in my kitchen and I'm trying with the help of Mogurako to plant it. So I picked up a bag of Eco Complete and I was curious to how long the nutrients last in the substrate?

I don't really know how long they last, but I had it in my 72G bowfront for almost 3 years, and then moved it to a 29G, 20G, and 2 10Gs where it has been for another year or so and my plants are doing well...I think it lasts around 5-6 years from what I have heard, but either way it's relatively cheap as it costs the same price as regular gravel at $17 per bag...

I am pretty sure the nutrients are still there in mine as my plants are still doing well as I have low light with no co2...at least my rooted plants seem to be growing faster than the same rooted plants in other tanks with same lighting...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that any commerical plant substrate, Eco included, will continue to absorb nutrients from mulm and water since it has a high CEC. I've had it in a tank up to 5 years before and only removed it then because I wanted to do something different in the tank. I have Eco or Dirt capped with Eco in all my tanks.

Well it's "perfect" for a year or so, and a good idea afterwards to at least do some liquid fertilizers and root tabs (if you have heavy root feeders)

Back
Top Bottom