How long does it take to know if your plants are doing well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monk3y

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new to planted tanks and have a 20 gallon with beginner plants.

My main question is how long does it take for 'unhappy' plants to show their distress and what are some danger signs to look for.

I have java fern, one anubias, and a few crypts.

Their is always going to be an adjustment period for all plants to a tank, some take longer than others, for example crypts will usually melt right away, don't think that it's dead, it should recover. Also of note they're heavy root feeders and need root tabs by them. You may lose leaves on other plants also,this is normal. As long as you start to see healthy new growth I wouldn't worry. Anubias and java fern are probably the easiest plants to grow and almost impossible to kill, just don't bury the rhizome of the anubias.

I'd give the plants a month to settle in.

Agree with Catfish Lover

Crypts melt almost immediately when placed in a new tank, Java Ferns / Anubias just shrug it off.

For Java Ferns / Anubias it's best to dose a liquid fert, for Crypts I use Osmocote indoor outdoor formula as my root tab ... a MUCH less expensive option than normal LFS purchased root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom