Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long should a tank of CO2 last?

Hi, I got a 10 gallon CO2 tank a couple of months ago for my 36 gallon corner tank and I was wondering about how long a tank of CO2 lasts at 1 bps? I've already had to refill it, and I'm worried I have a leak in my tubing somewhere...
Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does it run 24-7?

That does seem aweful fast. I was at about 7-10 bpm on a 5 gallon and it was on about 8 hours a day, ran for at lest 6 months and hasn't run out.

maybe try a soapy water test on the tubing? 1 per seconds is much fast er than mine was tho

Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's way way WAY to quick for that tank to run empty. Use soapy water to check for leaks at each connection until you find the leak. Real co2 tubing will last you years before it develops a leak. It's probably a connection issue. Your tank should last you over a year at that rate. My paintball system lasts about five months at a much faster bubble rate than you're running.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
I run my 10# CO2 bottle to two tanks. One at 1 bps and one at .3 bps. It lasts me at least 8 months before I have to refill it.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I made a precise calculation. You need to know, how to make it last longer. First, your standard co2 tank should be 20oz from paint ball gun. Second, you regulator should have a ph indicator so that your co2 tank last even longer. And one of the most important thing to do to keep your co2 in your aquarium is, your top water ripples should be at minimal in the day. At night, add a air pump (a little ).
In my 32 gallons a co2 tank last 4 months, refill cost 10$ ca, so 1$ us. Having a spare tanks is advise.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely do a soapy water check tonight; it's a pretty simple setup right now (regulator to a bubble counter/diffuser), but I might try to set up an inline reactor to my canister filter to get the most out of my tank as well. Thanks again for the quick help!!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice
I made a precise calculation. You need to know, how to make it last longer. First, your standard co2 tank should be 20oz from paint ball gun. Second, you regulator should have a ph indicator so that your co2 tank last even longer. And one of the most important thing to do to keep your co2 in your aquarium is, your top water ripples should be at minimal in the day. At night, add a air pump (a little ).
In my 32 gallons a co2 tank last 4 months, refill cost 10$ ca, so 1$ us. Having a spare tanks is advise.
This is exactly how I have my co2 system setup, too. Its hard to beat that method. A larger tank will last longer, but paintball tanks are so easy to have refilled and having a spare one on hand is cheap and convenient. You're right on about a Ph controller making your tank last a little longer but at around $3 to refill a canister it's not all that necessary (I love mine). Just an added bonus in addition to always knowing your Ph. The real secret is checking for leaks, putting on a new O-ring each time you refill, having a timer, and using real co2 tubing. All simple common sense steps!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
This is exactly how I have my co2 system setup, too. Its hard to beat that method. A larger tank will last longer, but paintball tanks are so easy to have refilled and having a spare one on hand is cheap and convenient. You're right on about a Ph controller making your tank last a little longer but at around $3 to refill a canister it's not all that necessary (I love mine). Just an added bonus in addition to always knowing your Ph. The real secret is checking for leaks, putting on a new O-ring each time you refill, having a timer, and using real co2 tubing. All simple common sense steps!
yes this is important. with the co2 beign corrosive, it WILL eat the tubing.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Did you ever say how big your tank is?

CO2 tubing is more for the aquarist than the plants. I use cheap airline tubing without any problem. Some references state that as much as 20% of CO2 can be lost, but upon further reading you often find that this is at higher pressures than we operate at. Some aquarists have tried to measure the CO2 lost from using airline tubing and haven't even been able to observe any lost gas.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do have co2 tubing. And from what i can tell, they only thing it does, it give you a peace of mind. When you buy online, the co2 valve, you get a co2 tubing free.

Tags
co2, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com