how long should co2 last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harmy4993

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so i got my 20oz co2 hooked up and going at a rate of 2 bps. problem is it only lasts 1 -1/2 hours before the bottle empties. i have 2 diffrent bottles and it did this on both bottles. this is on a 29g tank btw.

wow, thats fast. What CO2 levels were you getting?

I thought I read from others that is would be 1month or so on that size tank.

well I guess if your trying to make it last long and you dont have a ton of light, then 15ppm. It will work and is the "safe" level that many used for years and still do.

Not sure how you would setup a drop checker to read that? Are you using a drop checker?

I would start with 1 bps since in smaller tanks they normally need less bps, then if your diffusion method is efficient you need less BPS also. I would think that it would be around 15ppm?

Also you do understand that you should not change CO2 levels fast since it will stress fish. At least when your pushing higher levels you should slowly work up to the limits. If your still dealing with ich I wouldn't use CO2 at all till thats over

I'm not really the one to ask, just sharing the little I know.

oh lol. i have a bubble counter. thats how i knew i was a 2bps. that would prolly explain why it went so fast. i thought it was bubbles per second not bubbles per minute.

oh lol. i have a bubble counter. thats how i knew i was a 2bps. that would prolly explain why it went so fast. i thought it was bubbles per second not bubbles per minute.
no you were correct, its bubbles per second

Your filter(s) are prob not helping the situation if they are HOB's

You have a leak somewhere. 2 bps would not empty a tank that fast. You should easily get a month out of it. Start checking you connections it is seeping out somewhere.

i dont know whats up. covered the reg in soapy water put on with a brush looking for a leak and couldnt find one. turned down the bubbles to 1 every 4 seconds and it still only lasted around 4 hours. if a 5 pound tank should last around 6 months in a 29 gallon tank and 20oz bottle should last about a month or so. i dont know whats going on or how to fix it,

Sounds like the connection to the tank to me. I emptied my first one that way, because I forgot a washer.

Yes the guy at the welding shop that I got my 10lb bottle from mentioned that to me too.. "did your regulator come with a washer? because if you forget to put that on between the reg and the bottle youll be back here in no time at all.."

-davE

ok looking at the reg and comparing it to my paintball gun it looks like it is missing a o-ring. i looked thru the box it came in and nothing, but i went thru my paintball gun o-ring kit and have an o-ring that will fit where i think it needs to go. so hopefully i can get to the paintball shop in time tomorrow to get a refill

ok looking at the reg and comparing it to my paintball gun it looks like it is missing a o-ring. i looked thru the box it came in and nothing, but i went thru my paintball gun o-ring kit and have an o-ring that will fit where i think it needs to go. so hopefully i can get to the paintball shop in time tomorrow to get a refill

that sounds about right, btw what pressure do the paintball canisters hold?

i dunno when i plug in the reg it shows about 40psi. enough to shoot a paintball over 300 feet per second =)

Back
Top Bottom