How long should i turn on the light for my java fern to grow TALL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sholi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want my java fern to grow to about 10-12 inches tall

I have a 50/50 compact florescent lightbulb w/ 8000k while the distance of the water surface to the tip of the java fern is now 7inch

I rely on the fish i have now to give the java fern fertilizer(their poop) and co2
-1 platy
-2 guppies
-1 dwarf gourami
-2 ghost shrimps

I feed them twice a day for 3 min

I have 3 seperate java fern (seperated by the rhizomes)

So due to the info, my questions are~

*How long should i leave the lightbulbs on so my java fern can grow to 10-12 inch tall?
*How long until my java fern grows 10-12 inch?
*When i purchased the java fern, i seperated the ferns into their own induvidual fern by their rhizomes, are they still considered 1 java fern or now 3 java ferns?

Thank u so much :D

I've heard about this 4 hours on 4 hours off. Mine are on 11 hours, I like looking at my tank, would suck if the lights turned off for 4 hours.

Keybler said:
I've heard about this 4 hours on 4 hours off. Mine are on 11 hours, I like looking at my tank, would suck if the lights turned off for 4 hours.

Four on, four off, four on provides the right amount of light for plant growth. Breaking up the photoperiod doesn't allow algae growth. Either way no more than 8 hours a day should be used

More than 8-10 hours a day, just leads to algae not better plant growth.

Than is the 4 4 method for making the plants flower?

I swear there is way to much information on the internet, if you read enough nothing makes sense.

"sorry for the incorrect infomation" Keith

The 4-4 method is a theory that it will help prevent algae, it certainly will not hurt and might help. I run 10 hours straight.

Four on, four off, four on provides the right amount of light for plant growth. Breaking up the photoperiod doesn't allow algae growth. Either way no more than 8 hours a day should be used

Ok so the 4 on 4 off is not meant for 24 hours aday? just 8 hours broken in 2 parts?

Thanks, I've been thinking about it. I switched to better water and that alone is really helping the plants. I just had that 4 4 thing all screwed up.

Keybler said:
Thanks, I've been thinking about it. I switched to better water and that alone is really helping the plants. I just had that 4 4 thing all screwed up.

I had the same problem when I first heard of it :)

I want my java fern to grow to about 10-12 inches tall

I have a 50/50 compact florescent lightbulb w/ 8000k while the distance of the water surface to the tip of the java fern is now 7inch

I rely on the fish i have now to give the java fern fertilizer(their poop) and co2
-1 platy
-2 guppies
-1 dwarf gourami
-2 ghost shrimps

I feed them twice a day for 3 min

I have 3 seperate java fern (seperated by the rhizomes)

So due to the info, my questions are~

*How long should i leave the lightbulbs on so my java fern can grow to 10-12 inch tall?
*How long until my java fern grows 10-12 inch?
*When i purchased the java fern, i seperated the ferns into their own induvidual fern by their rhizomes, are they still considered 1 java fern or now 3 java ferns?

Thank u so much :D

Well Sholi, Hopefully my question answers yours about the light.
The java ferns will grow that high, when they grow that height (water conditions permiting) good luck.

Keith

Yes thank you for the question :D it added more details of lighting my java fern,thanks again

Back
Top Bottom