How long should my CO2 last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My CO2 canister doesn't seem to last very long and I can't figure out why.
I have checked for leaks, sealed all my valves and hoses but after all of that, it only has lasted me about 2 weeks. My CO2 canister is fairly large (see picture below) and I have it running at about 2-3 bubbles per second. Is it just running its course, and running out after 2 weeks? The guy I bought the whole set up from said it should last AT LEAST a month (he said 2-3)

Any ideas?

img_646354_0_3f3238c9c8dc2cb51a0182dced4eaf2c.jpg

Looks like my CO2 tank. A 5lb. I have mine on a 75G, running around 2 bubbles per second and on a controller. So far I've got 5 months out of it, going on 6. Are you sure it was properly filled? Maybe you didn't get a complete fill on the tank.

That is what I was thinking, Toirtis and Lonewolf. I take it to a local beer barn and since my gauges are messed up, I can't tell how full it is.

I'm pretty sure there are no leaks. I guess I will find a different place to fill it and see how long it lasts then.

You can't tell how full it is by the guages. The main pressure will read the same til it's just about empty. I've had mine almost 6 months, and the guages haven't changed any. They go by weight. They should weigh the bottle empty, and if it's a 5lb bottle, should be about 5lb heaver after the fill. And if you know how much the bottle weighed empty, you could weigh it and tell about how much you have left. And maybe they don't have the equip to fill it all the way as well. I take mine to a medical supply depot here for mine. It's where I bought mine. And they also refill for 12.00.

Back
Top Bottom