How long to leave light on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one amazon sword as to plants. My lighting is moderate, I have been leaving the light on for nine and half hours.

If 9.5 hours is working for you without algae problems then I would say that's the right amount of time for your tank. If you start noticing algae growth however then I would look at lowering the amount of time the lights are on down to 6-8 hours.

Also if you use a timer, try staggering the time. So have some periods were the light is off throughout the day. I have heard that this works to control algae growth as algae is a primitive plant it needs longer periods of time to produce energy. A few 20 min intervals should help. It will also mimic clouds passing overhead so it will not disturb your fish or plants. It won't solve the problem but it will help.

Normally 6-8 hours is adequate in a planted tank as long as there are no algae issues. If you want to use the siesta period you run lights 3 or 4 hours, have them off for 2 hours, then run them 3 or 4 hours.

If 9.5 hours is working for you without algae problems then I would say that's the right amount of time for your tank. If you start noticing algae growth however then I would look at lowering the amount of time the lights are on down to 6-8 hours.

+1 "listen" to your tank to see what it needs... Excessive light and long photoperiods are almost always the root cause of algae problems...

Normally 6-8 hours is adequate in a planted tank as long as there are no algae issues. If you want to use the siesta period you run lights 3 or 4 hours, have them off for 2 hours, then run them 3 or 4 hours.

Rivercats is right. I learned the hard way (My lights were on for 9 hours) as I'm in the process of getting rid of black brush algae.

+1 "listen" to your tank to see what it needs... Excessive light and long photoperiods are almost always the root cause of algae problems...

Rivercats is right. I learned the hard way (My lights were on for 9 hours) as I'm in the process of getting rid of black brush algae.

I'm going to agree with billbug on this one. My 55g planted tank is on 12 hours a day and i have no algae issues except for a tiny amount of green spot algae that accumulates over the course of a few weeks. It took me months to get it this way but I'm happy now that it's there.

I agree with Mebbid, leave them on for as long as you want barring there aren't any issues because of it. It's not like nature only gets X amount of light per day. Obviously we have to have some sort of control though since we want plant growth and not algae growth.

I'm going to agree with billbug on this one. My 55g planted tank is on 12 hours a day and i have no algae issues except for a tiny amount of green spot algae that accumulates over the course of a few weeks. It took me months to get it this way but I'm happy now that it's there.

I have my lights on 12 hours also. Then again, they are really cheap top fin LEDs :lol:

Back
Top Bottom