How many people agree with this article??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a bit confused... I consider my tank as "low tech" I have a single T8 14W light unit built in the hood which is on for 7 hours a day, eco complete substrate, 5 different types of plants, dose with flourish and excel. I also do a 50% water change once a week.

Having read this article I think I'm doing it all wrong. I do have a bit of algae and some of my plants don't look too good. Not sure where to go from here!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409726605.481159.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409726719.118701.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409726740.979459.jpg

Do have a read, it would be really interesting to get your thoughts on this and maybe guide me in the right direction.

How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: A Guide for Planted Aquariums | Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've read this article before. One thing I can say is that one T8 tube at 14w may not be enough or suitable enough lighting. You can have all the nutrients in the world but if there is not enough light to stimulate and support photosynthesis then the minerals are useless.

Do you know much about your T8? What is the colour temperature of the bulb. This will indicate the colour of the light in the spectrum and the wavelength it will use.

Most people aim for around 6000 kelvins for their lights as the light at this temperature will predominantly use a similar wavelength as sunlight. The colour temperature of our sun is around 5800 kelvins.

If you can't add another bulb I would replace your bulb with a new one.

I agree with the low light being the limiting factor in your tank. The most I could grow consistently with a single T-8 was moss. And algae.
Is the sword the only plant covered with algae? You did not mention substrate fertilizers in your tank. Swords (as well as crypts) benefit from root tabs, pellets, etc.
On a side note, I like how the tank frame and hood matches the stand and wall. Took me a while to notice that. Lovely tank!

I've read this article before. One thing I can say is that one T8 tube at 14w may not be enough or suitable enough lighting. You can have all the nutrients in the world but if there is not enough light to stimulate and support photosynthesis then the minerals are useless.

Do you know much about your T8? What is the colour temperature of the bulb. This will indicate the colour of the light in the spectrum and the wavelength it will use.

Most people aim for around 6000 kelvins for their lights as the light at this temperature will predominantly use a similar wavelength as sunlight. The colour temperature of our sun is around 5800 kelvins.

If you can't add another bulb I would replace your bulb with a new one.

Ok the bulb is made by GLO. It's a Life Glo 15W (not 14W) 6700K. I may be able to squeeze a LED strip under the hood but will this make any difference?

I do plan to upgrade my lighting when the new finnex LED comes out.

Should I be running the light longer than 7 hours or will this increase the presence of algae?

I agree with the low light being the limiting factor in your tank. The most I could grow consistently with a single T-8 was moss. And algae.
Is the sword the only plant covered with algae? You did not mention substrate fertilizers in your tank. Swords (as well as crypts) benefit from root tabs, pellets, etc.
On a side note, I like how the tank frame and hood matches the stand and wall. Took me a while to notice that. Lovely tank!

There's algae on most of the plants to be honest but not tons of the stuff. I do use mebbids root tabs for these plants.

Thanks for the comment on the tank by the way.

How recently have you put the plants that have algae growing on them into the tank? From my experience, algae only grows on unhealthy plants that arent growing sufficiently.

For a low light tank the amazon sword is borderline and im not too sure what the other plant is.

What size tank is this?

I disagree with the article on some points. No water changes would scare me unless the tank is severely under stocked.

Fish release hormones that build up and cause stunted growth without enough water changes.

I'm sure they break down somehow but I would still be worried about no water changes.

I agree that you should up your lighting.

How recently have you put the plants that have algae growing on them into the tank? From my experience, algae only grows on unhealthy plants that arent growing sufficiently.

For a low light tank the amazon sword is borderline and im not too sure what the other plant is.

What size tank is this?

Ok here's a list of the plants and the dates they were added to the tank.

Front left - Hygrophila Mini - 29/3/14

Back left - Echinodorus Bleheri - 26/5/14

Back right - Hygrophila Polysperma - 26/5/14

Mid right - Lobelia Cardinalis - 29/3/14

Front right - Hygrophila Mini - 29/3/14

Front right - Cryptocoryne Cordata Var - 28/4/14

The tank measures 24 x 12 x 18 (inches)

According to AqAdviser with these measurements it's 88 Litres or 23 us gallon.

Back
Top Bottom