How many root tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many root tabs do you need? I have a 10 gallon tank with it with a 15 watt fluorescent tube light. I'm thinking of putting in these plants;
1 hornwort
one corkscrew val
1 water wisteria
one Java fern
1Crypt
And a few Dwarf Sag
I also be tieing down anubias to a rock and java moss to driftwood.

Those species are not heavy root feeders. Are you showing signs of nutrient deficiencies or an imbalance?

Those species are not heavy root feeders. Are you showing signs of nutrient deficiencies or an imbalance?

No. I don't have the plants yet. I was told you would need root tabs. How many do i need?

The wisteria, crypt and dwarf sag will benefit from root fertilization. No, it's not absolutely necessary but it does make them grow nicer than without. Four or five root tabs should be enough for a 10g. Just space them out evenly. They dissolve in the substrate and fertilize about a six inch square area. Good luck, OS.

The wisteria, crypt and dwarf sag will benefit from root fertilization. No, it's not absolutely necessary but it does make them grow nicer than without. Four or five root tabs should be enough for a 10g. Just space them out evenly. They dissolve in the substrate and fertilize about a six inch square area. Good luck, OS.

How long do the osmocote plus root tabs last?

Is osmocote not as good as osmocote plus? What are the differences?

Is osmocote not as good as osmocote plus? What are the differences?

Osmocote plus has a load of micro nutrients that regular osmocote doesn't have. For a good substitution try out dynamite flower and vegetable. It's in a red bottle.

A little late but, again, the plants you listed are not what I'd consider heavy root feeders. They would benefit of course but depending on dosing regime it may not be essential. I missed the part you were thinking about getting the plants, not had the plants.

As far as placement, I followed the directions on the pack I got. One every so many inches.

I used root tabs in playsand years ago, just be careful if you expose them to the water column if they've been in a while. Makes quite a mess, I say this from experience. ;)

Last edited:
A little late but, again, the plants you listed are not what I'd consider heavy root feeders. They would benefit of course but depending on dosing regime it may not be essential. I missed the part you were thinking about getting the plants, not had the plants.

As far as placement, I followed the directions on the pack I got. One every so many inches.

I used root tabs in playsand years ago, just be careful if you expose them to the water column if they've been in a while. Makes quite a mess, I say this from experience. ;)

Okay thank you. Even though late, still helped!

Back
Top Bottom