How many watts of light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICoolGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 Gallon tank cycling and I would like it to be a low tech planted tank but I am wondering if the light I have are sufficient for growing these plants (Anubias Nana, Java Fern, 4-5 kinds of mosses and Jungle Val).

It may become a bit crowded with plants but I want advice on lights. I have 2 (t8 I guess) 20 watt each 6000k bulbs included in the kit.

And do I need fertilizer for them or any diy co2?

From my experience, no. You should be all set especially with that Java fern. Those things will grow in low low low light.

Dosing is up to you. I always suggest try it, like half of what is prescribed on the bottle and monitor any changes if you see any. Then go for what is prescribed. Each aquarium is different. My aquarium of old used to loves getting liquid ferts where my brothers literally did nothing.

Co2 is not really needed either unless you plan on packing it full of plants and start to introduce some of the less hardy plants. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's from my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply! :) And I do want to have alot of plants but not in the near future and when I do have alot of plants do you think it will be a good idea to use diy CO2 ? and can anyone recommend me a brand or certain type of fertilizer?

Thanks in advance :thanks:

Seachem flourish is what I've used in the past. It's the best selling by far unless you want to make your own.

I've never had experience with DIY co2 I am planning to jump into it eventually. If you do go that route, you should try the citric acid one as it's easier to control then the yeast and sugar reactor.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom