How much Iron to dose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
First of all, I do NOT have an Iron test kit nor will I be buying one. Ive heard they are expensive and extremely inaccurate.

I have 2wpg (the 2x55w Bright Kit from AH Supply) and no CO2 injection. Heres a list of the plants I have (as far as I know):

2 Marble Vallisneria
1 Amazon
1 Rubin Sword
6 Dwarf Chain Tennellus
2 Red Temple
2 Moneywort
1 Ruffle Sword
1 Anacharis
2 Cabomba
2 Brazilian Swords
2 Lilies (water onions)

I just got the complete Flourish line from Big Al's and on the Iron bottle it says dose to 0.10 mg/L (which is 1 cap for my tank), and to maintain that level. My question is - Does anyone have a rough guess as to how often I will need to add the 1 cap of Fe to maintain close to 0.10 mg/L? What is the iron uptake gonna be like? Do I need to put in a capful every day? Should weekly cover it, or monthly?

I know this is question will only produce vague answers, but Im really only looking for guesstimates. Thanx all!

Black Tiger Oscar - currently 4"
Pictus Catfish - currently 4"
55gal w/ AC500
Hooray for sand and live plants!

Typically every other day. Iron oxidizes to an unusable form rather quickly.

However, you're not at high light, and you don't have CO2 injection..so I'd start at a half dose every other day, and just watch the plants.

You can overdose it so be careful. Start off very slowly and watch the plants - they will be your best indication.

so what will they look like when they need iron? And please dont say "brown".... a lot of deficiencies could make them look bad... is there anything that will specifically indicate that they need Iron?

I recently got a redsea Fe test kit from big als, It wasn't very expensive and seems easy to use. I started adding Tropic master grow to my 50 gal at 2 ml daily. By the mext morning it indicated no iron. I upped the dose to 4 ml, still no residual overnight. I upped the dose to 8 lm and now have a residual of .1. Iron deficient plants look pale and the leaves of my amazon sword looked transparent. They are much improved now.

Back
Top Bottom