How much is too much aeration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mearpond

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a panted 15 gallon tank my ramshorn snails seem to go up to the surface I know they feed on the surface, but I also know they go to the surface due to lack of aeration. I put a Hydor 240 in it and I feel it might be to much power head for my tank. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Found these today after a water change!

gvz8RbX.jpg

Looks like snail eggs. That is rated for 16-28G. Some of my Ramshorn snails live in a planted bowl and light with no additional airbubbler but the plants help with that.

You might not need that.

What is your filter?

If it looks like a jacuzzi, I think you've overdone it!

Actual flow depends on species concerned. Typically between 2&4 times tank volume is considered acceptable/normal but you can easily go to 10 or 20 times and that's normal.

E.g. I have 2 Fluval 205 pumps rated at 180gph
1 is on a 15g tank, the other is on a 30g.
It's quite hard to over do it for most river fish.

I made a tank for rheophilic species and the turnover was insane.
It had an 850lph pump running a custom rig filter, a 400 LPH internal filter, then for the air, it had a dedicated elite 802 (90lph air) and an additional feed from the main air pump (350lph air) but that supplied all the tanks, the 400 LPH filter had a Venturi air feed also working, the air feed went into a sponge filter and airstone. Tank was 100-110 litres.

Back
Top Bottom