Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Post How much Lighting do I need

Have just recently started to plant out my large 800litre tank which is about 70cm deep and the lights i have are LED and dont seem to be strong enough to grow the plants. What strength of lights in the light spectrum or lights do you think i need to light the tank for plants?

Thanks

Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll have to have the following questions answered to try and help. Fair warning there is likely no "cheap" way to light a 2' + deep tank.

How much light do you want?
What kind of tank are you trying to run? (CO2, Ferts etc etc).
What plants are you determined to grow?

I would generally say:
Radions...
SBreef
2 x fluval 3.0
Twinstars

But.... $$$$

2 x beamswork DA-FSPEC should be okay for low - medium light. but... no color adjustments.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How much Lighting do I need

Been USíd - had to convert centimetres to feet lol. Some thoughts from using a deep tank here.

On mine which is 2 and a half feet deep, with CO2 injection at either end of tank - I run a quad t5ho and a dimmable medium priced LED light (white light bank 100% and blue light bank 0% but have had it at 50%).

Iím sticking with the t5ho as can get bulbs higher in red light compared to leds here. If I could get decent dimmable plant leds that werenít so hideously expensive, would swap to leds completely as bulb cost is a bit.

Iíve run reef lights and not achieved even algae until swapping to CO2 injection so as above - depends on CO2 used or not imo.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought and am using a couple of Mars Aqua "black box" LED lights. They have a full spectrum channel and a UV/Blue channel separately controlled. They are growing carpet plants super well in my 25" tall tank. They were cheap, too: $100USD each on Amazon. My tank is 18x36 inches at the base, and I'm using two of them. They come with hardware to suspend them from the ceiling or a canopy. You can check out my 65g Rebuild thread to see the progress I've made with them.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My main goal is to plant out my tank, so lighting is for the plants in terms of growth.
Dosing regularly with flourish and have root tabs under most of the plants. I have contemplated whether or not to have co2 but budget is more focused on lighting.
I have a bit to research and see if we can get them here down under ( New Zealand )
Thanks heaps
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Iím in Australia - good luck!

Imo donít discount CO2 injection - itís incredible bang for the buck on effectiveness (expensive to set up but cheap to refill bottles). Iíd go for both lighting and CO2 (even if lighting not great as gone a bit cheap), rather than go just expensive lighting.

All the PAR will be only as good as the CO2 in the fish tank which is something like a few ppm versus 30ppm injected. Some thoughts.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuama View Post
Have just recently started to plant out my large 800litre tank which is about 70cm deep and the lights i have are LED and dont seem to be strong enough to grow the plants. What strength of lights in the light spectrum or lights do you think i need to light the tank for plants?

Thanks
That's about how deep my 60 gallon 230 litre tank is. I'll have to follow this thread and take some notes.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's a pic of tank and lights. The growth is pretty tall on the carpet (Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'), but still super dense. I trimmed it to half that height about 10 days ago, so growth is robust to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	309685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	309686  

Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Planted tanks - never boring!

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com