How much of a difference will new bulbs make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
The lights over my 55 hold 2 55 W CP bulbs. They currently have a color temp of 9325k. I just ordered 2 new ones that are 6500k.

Will there be that big of a difference for the plants? I just ran across my original purchase info and saw the color temp so I decided to buy new ones since, from what I understand, 6500 is closer to what plants are looking for.

Just curious if I'll see a difference.

Thanks.

from what I have read and understand so far the kelvin rating deals with the color spectrum. 10000 K has the highest intensity of blue red and greens. while a 5000 K rating makes the tank appear yellowish. I read that using a 6700 K bulb and a 50/50 will give you a nice sharp color tone. so to answer your question, you will notice somewhat a difference, but it shouldn't be by much. sorry I can't provide more info I'm still a newbie at planted tanks :)

You will definately notice the difference in colour, but I doubt your plants will see the difference.. You might get a couple more flowering, (higher in reds), but nothing that noticable.

I originally had 2 6500K bulbs on my tank, I now have one 6500K and one 10000K and I can see only a very slight difference. My bulbs are staggered so one end of the tank has more 6500k and the other more 10000K and it's very hard to tell the difference. I have also not noticed any difference in plant growth. My blue fish do look brighter under the 10000Ks, though!

I was really hoping I'd hear I'd see a benefit for the plants.

well it looks like I jumped the gun on ordering the new bulbs. Since I always read 6500k for plants I thought I needed to change them. Oh well...I'll need to replace them eventually so i'll just store them...or get a new tank to use them on!

my bulbs are 6500k and they seem to be doing well... i think thats the benchmark most shoot for in planted... some overshoot that goal too, which is great because it gives the rest of us something to aim at...:)

Back
Top Bottom