how often should I use fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just started my 55 gallon tank, it will eventually be planted. Right now here is what I've got:

normal substrate (couldn't splurge on the florite)
3 amizon sword plants
some dwarf grass type plant (sorry i don't have the specific name :oops: )
currently 2 watts/gallon (will eventually have 4, but I need to get the bulbs and my LFS is expensive)

I am planning on getting more plants later this afternoon when i get out of classes and complete my office hours at the radio station.

The fertilizer I have is in liquid form. How often should I use it to make sure my plants get the nutrients they need?? Should i get the root tablets? How much fetilizer is too much and will too much harm my fish?

You test you nitrate and phosphate levels...that's how you know IF you need to dose.
Without knowing what liquid fert you have, I cannot recommend how to dose it, other than 'follow the label instructions'.

2 amazon swords will fill a 55, so be prepared to sell/donate/trade/trash one of them in a few months.

For bulbs, try www.hellolights.com - way cheaper than my pricey LFS.

they will fill a 55 gal?? interesting... well I can always trade them back for credit at my LFS :D

With Amazon swords I would recommend you get some plant tabs to feed their root system. I use Flourish Tabs and highly recommend them.

I had 4 Amazons in a 40g. I had to trim them back pretty heavily every three or four weeks 8O . Talk about an extensive root system. Just about every plant in the tank was disturbed or uprooted when I yanked them.

As mentioned, Amazons will appreciate root tabs in the substrate. They are pretty heavy root feeders.

Also, make sure your injecting CO2 before you jump up to 4 WPG. Pressurized would be best. Otherwise, you'll have insane algae blooms.

yup, got the CO2 planned, just gonna keep the tank at 2 watts/gallon at the moment because funds are limited. Thanks everyone!!!

If u are using liquid fertilizer, they norm recommend weekly dosage in the label. Instead of adding the full dosage as recommended in the label once a week, you can divided the recommended the dosage by 7 and add in the the liquid fert daily.

It would be greater as various nutrient such as chelate iron will oxidise in water so by adding it daily you ensure the plant get most out of the fert.

HTH

Even dosing every other day, dividing by 3, should work well. It depends on what liquid fert you're using, whether it'll have enough iron or not.
Every tank goes through a little experimentation the first few months. Make changes at 2 week intervals if you're having problems. Any change takes a week to really show in the plants, so 2 weeks ensures you're seeing the effects of the changes in ferts (or lighting duration, etc....however upping CO2 seems to have a more immediate effect...its the exception to the rule)

oh, btw, I never told you guys what fertilizer I was using. It is seachem flourish. I hope it is good stuff. And yes, the directions were on the side. Sorry :roll: Still, I like the idea of splitting up the doses throughout the week. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom