How radical is the pH swing with Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was contemplating Co2 on some of my tanks, but my main concern is the pH shift.

My pH is around 8.2 naturally, I was wondering if Co2 brought the pH down slowly so the fish could adjust, or would one have to manually adjust the pH with things such as peat and driftwood slowly before they add Co2?

In other words, Do you need to do it yourself? Or does the pH change from Co2 change so slowly that the fish can addapt without problem?

You will need to find out what your KH is. If too low then you will have a PH crash. KH needs to be a least 3 even better around 5.

I'm guessing you probably have a fairly decent KH with that high of pH. But check it out for sure. If putting in pressurized CO2, you can slowly raise it by adjusting the needle valve/bubble counter. But you should check the pH and kh regularly with tests. If putting in a passive yeast Hagen style DIY CO2, it will probably lower the pH fairly slowly... at least that is my best guess. I would go for it. Just study Chuck Gadd's dissolved CO2 chart at his website: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm
HTH Bob

OKay, I just came up with another question last night..

Wouldn't water changes induce a large pH swing?

I mean, I normally do around 40% water changes every other week.

Wouldn't that cause quite the drastic swing?

I belong to the 50% weekly water changing club. I drop my pH a full point in my CO2 injected tanks, from 7.8 to 6.8. I have pH monitors on my CO2 injected tanks and my pH usually rises about 0.4 when doing my water changes, it then slowly moves back to 6.8 over a couple of hours after the water change, but the rise happens very quickly. I keep many "considered" sensitive fish such as Apisto's and Chocolate Gourami's. I've never experienced any sign of stress related to sudden and dramatic changes in pH in fish tanks. I routinely move fish from CO2 injected tanks to non-injected tanks...again no problems in either direction.

I've never seen any problems nor do a subscribe to the belief that there is such a thing as "pH shock". Wright Huntley has some interesting posts on the APD if you search the archives for "pH shock". Here's my take on the issue of pH shock. In and of itself pH swings cause no harm, but the impact of a movement in pH may have synergistic effects. Meaning that it's a combination of two or more substances which produce effects greater than their sum. For example, the pH of the water will determine the toxic effects, if any, of many substances. Ammonia, Nitrite, and metals have toxicity based on pH. Provided your water is pristine and devoid of ammonia and nitrite then large water changes should never cause any stress. Moving fish from water with low TDS to high TDS is often tolerated too, but moving a fish from high TDS to low TDS will often kill them in minutes. I never move fish from water with differing amounts of TDS...never.

I have over 30+ years of doing this, with the last 8-9 years with planted tanks and the past 4-5 years with pressurized CO2 injection.

Welcome to AA, Steve!! Happy to have you aboard.

I am also in the 50% per week club, and my fish, including cardinals, and wee tiny fry of all kinds, do not mind the change in pH that occurs and corrects with the CO2, as my tap water is 7.4 and the tank is generally about 6.8.

Very interesting take on the pH shock concept, and I like the logic there. I know the pH "shock" method works in my pool to obliterage algae, that is for sure. :)

when refering to GH or KH as 5, or another number, are you refering to the number of drops added to the test?
just asking because i just started testing for these, and the chart with the scale of results that came with my kit (AP) doesn't have numbers anywhere close to that.

We are referring to German degrees, so if your kit gives you ppm, divide by 17.9 and you get degrees.

Gh stands for general hardness which is a measurement of the amount of calcium and magnesium ion concentrations dissolved in the water via epsom salts. KH refers to carbonic hardness which is the measurement of carbonate and bicarbonate ion concentrations dissolved in water. Carbonate can come from shells, corals etc. A chart of KH level to pH level shows the amount of dissolved CO2 a tank experiences. You can load up the CO2 chart from Chuck Gadd's site. I would look at it and at Rex's FAQ at the top of this forum to answer some basic questions. HTH Bob

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Back
Top Bottom