How should I prune anacharis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
The anacharis came as shoots. I made a fresh cut on the bottom of each and stripped away the leaves from the bottom inch or so. I then stuck them in the gravel.

Now, the tops are all growing (nice new tight green leaves), but the bottom still looks the same. (leaves spaced farther apart, less green in color)

So, how do you prune these plants? Do you just cut the top off? Will it branch or alway be a single stalk?

Good question. Mine came in bunches of single stalks, about 6 per bunch, banded together with a weight on them. Unlike you, I didn't do anything to them, just stuck them in the gravel. Some started leaning towards the filter intake, so I just snipped them off to keep the intake clear.

I too, await the anacharis advice, since I put a whole bunch of it in my tank.

i think your suppose to prune off the new sprig type things. where the anacheris splits and one starts growing off the side. i think your can cut that off and plant it.

You can cut it any where you want and replant the cuttings. It will grow like crazy. The hard part is to get it to stop. I have had stalks grow 4 feet long in big coils with shoots coming off all over the place. I cut off the greenest pieces and replant them and throw out the rest. It will suck the nitrates out of your water. It is a great plant you just have to prune it alot.

I do the exact same thing Rich does. You can pretty much prune one anywhere and just stick the cutting in the substrate.

Dave

Nipping the ends can encourage more branching, and you can replant those pieces. Be sure to trim away the oldest stuff as it will make an enormous mess if it dies and starts to rot.

This is great! Mine is starting to get out of control and growing all around the filter intake. I just pruned off parts and planted them in another section of the tank! I feel like I have a whole new plant! :D

I let mine float in the tank and they also grow like weeds. I had one that was 4 feet long all wrapped around everything. I simply take all of them out about every 3 months and cut off the weaker or dead looking ends and let them go. Will be trying a planted version with ceramic pots to see if I can finally get them to take root. I have seen roots take hold from high in the water column but they never last long.

Mine only started to root when I pumped the light up from 1.2 watts per gallon to 3.8 watts per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom