how to clean texas live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a new tank that I got used on line. It came with a lot of good Texas live rock "at least I think that's what it's called" the only problem is that it needs a good cleaning, and I am not real sure how to go about doing that. I read on other posts to boil and scrum them, but that post said that boiling them might break poris rock witch this is. Because it so poris just scrubbing isn't getting it done. Any advice/ tricks would be appriciated.

Texas Holy Rock most likely... some people call it lace rock. Just scrub it and soak it in hot water. a wire brush would probably be helpful

Thanks for up date I, now that you mention it I think it is lace rock. I tried using a wire brush, the problem is that there are some deep pockets that the brush won't reach. What about a bleach solution to at least kill any harmfull bacteria. I was concerned that bleach would soak into the poris rock and maybe not all be removed by delorinator. Any thoughts???

I read in another post last night that scrubbing it with vinegar, then soaking it and boiling it would be an effective way to clean regular rocks found outside.. so should be good enough for the lace rock!

I run all my rocks and DW through the dish washer (without soap of course). The jets from the washer get into the holes, you can also take them outside and use the garden hose.

That's realy good idea, I will definately give that a try. Can't believe I neve thought of that

Ok so btw the dishwasher w/o soap trick works like a charm. Saved me a ton of hard and tedious scrubbing.... Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom