How to combat an Algae Bloom in High Tech 90gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had algae blooms in smaller non planted tanks. Never in a large a high tech heavily planted tank.

In the past I've done 50% wc, cleaned debris, feed less and 7 day blackout. Although in non planted tanks.

Currently: 6hrs 4x 54wT5HO, pressurized co2, EI dosing, filtration (900 gph). Heavily planted

What to do?

A little help please? I'm doing a blackout and wc. BIG question is, do I continue to fertilize? I've already shut off co2.

I'm guessing I should be keeping my co2 going? I've read that the imbalance of co2 is a contributor.

Spot treating with hydrogen peroxide or excel will help.

Do you have your co2 turning on an hour or so before the lights? Are you using a drop checker? What are your nitrates at?

But the co2 is on a controller. Won't that make my ph swing if I shut it off? Isn't it bad to have ph swings.

But the co2 is on a controller. Won't that make my ph swing if I shut it off? Isn't it bad to have ph swings.

I wouldn't worry about doing a blackout for now.

We should try to find the root cause of the algae.

So again, what are your nitrate levels? I know you're dosing EI, but I've found if I let nitrate bottom out or get too low, BBA takes a hold.

What do you have your ph controller set to, and are you also using a drop checker to verify you have enough co2 with that ph level?

In newly setup tanks, it's not uncommon to go through some algae phases, especially after the tank is done cycling. Typically you'll see some diatoms, then some sort of hair algae, and so on.

The excel and glut aren't an option yet. My Val's haven't been acclimated to it yet. Can I spot treat with hydrogen peroxide instead? I'll be testing for nitrates after wc.

I agree with BillBug. A blackout may get rid of the current algae, but does not address the problem. Since you're dosing ferts and injecting CO2, the problem is an imbalance of something. Your task is to figure out what. Nitrate or phosphate is a good place to start.

I also agree with dosing glut (excel). I am currently dosing at 1ml per 2 gallons of water with good results.

I'm going to be testing to find the root, but the excel will melt my Vals. I'm in agreement, I think I have an imbalance of co2 n lighting. Drop checker is on its way.

I've had algae blooms in smaller non planted tanks. Never in a large a high tech heavily planted tank.

In the past I've done 50% wc, cleaned debris, feed less and 7 day blackout. Although in non planted tanks.

Currently: 6hrs 4x 54wT5HO, pressurized co2, EI dosing, filtration (900 gph). Heavily planted

What to do?

Try using a siesta period. Set lights to run 3 hours, off 2 hours, then run 3 hours. Many algae needs lower continuous light hours to grow so when you disrupt the light hours it makes it very hard for them to grow.

I have a very high light 220g, 100% planted and I have to run CO2 at a point my drop checker is yellowish and I still high dose Glut. You may want to start introducing Glut at a very low level to your tank. I grew Corkscrew Val's in this tank for over a year. The fluxuation in ph from using CO2 IMO is perfectly safe. I've never seen any problems in stock nor have I ever heard anyone complain about having problems by not using a ph controller.

As for spot treating... turn off your filters, pull up 3ml of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% for every 1 gallon of water, hold syringe right up to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot to treat you'll have to do any area a day.

Do you have a drop checker? Since you're dosing EI, you can be pretty confident its a co2 or light issue, and really the two are tightly related.

I am in agreement with a blackout not accomplishing much.

The drop checker is on its way. I'm pretty certain it's a co2 / lighting issue.

Kh is at 5, the ph set at 6.8. I believe my problem was created prior to raising/stabilizing my kh. I have r/o and only replaced gh. LFS didn't mention kh. Once I went pressurized I learned about the importance of kh. I'm on the right track now.

Back
Top Bottom