How to deal with beard algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my ten gallon tanks has been going through a bad bout of beard algae and it is getting out of hand making my tank ugly. I had some success in the beginning just trimming off the few leaves on plants that had it. It was going ground on me though. I left for a vacation in the Florida Keys for a week, leaving basic care to my mother and brother. When I got home beard algae is everywhere, even on hard surfaces. I need your guys expertise. What can I do to tame this beast?

If it's really bad start by leaving tank lights off for 24 hours, then only run lights a max of 6 hours a day until it is completely under control. Lastly you can spot treat the algae with Hydrogen Peroxide or Exel. Pull up 2-3ml of either product to every 10g of tank water in a syringe and slowly squirt the BBA as close to it as possible. If there is alot you will have to spot treat an area each day. BBA should turn white/pink/red in about 24 hours which means it dying. If you use Peroxide you need to turn off your filter and lights for 20 minutes during each treatment. Also check your nitrates to be sure they aren't over 20ppm.

Thank you Rivercats. I think I have hydrogen peroxide somewhere around the house. Is it ok to use while fish are in the tank?

Yes but only use the amounts I listed and only do one spot treatment using the max amount one time daily.

BBA shouldn't get out of control in a week's time unless something is out of whack in your tank, assuming this is BBA. Do you have any pictures of the algae? What's your setup (light, ferts, stocking, tank size, etc)? You need to figure out what caused your issue and correct that, not just address what's already happened (although that's an important part as well).

BBA shouldn't get out of control in a week's time unless something is out of whack in your tank, assuming this is BBA. Do you have any pictures of the algae? What's your setup (light, ferts, stocking, tank size, etc)? You need to figure out what caused your issue and correct that, not just address what's already happened (although that's an important part as well).

It isn't really raging out of control. It is just on a few plants and on the gravel in a few spots. But I agree, something is off a bit. It is a 10 gallon tank with 1 female betta, 1 rescued male betta, and 3 emerald rasboras. I add a dosing of leaf zone and liquid co2 every week after a 30-40% water change, no other ferts. Right now I'm using a desk lamp to light this particular tank. I'm not sure of the wattage but once I get home I'll post a picture and the light specs.

Ok. Excel/Glut needs be dosed daily for good results, so changing that will probably go a long way towards fixing your problems long term after you nuke it down with H2O2.

What exactly is Excel? I always read on here about everyone using it. Is it a water conditioner?

You could try using nerite snails. Great algae cleaners. Also, you don't have to worry about them reproducing and swamping the tank because they can only reproduce in brackish or salty water.

Not all algae eaters eat all types of algae. Nerites graze on bio-film, diatoms, green dust, and green spot algae. They are not known for eating on BBA unless it has been spot treated with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide and they algae is dying off and turning pink/white.

Back
Top Bottom