How to determine correct number/Type of LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noghri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After reading some threads, and doing some other research, I decided to go with LED lights to upgrade my 55g tank so I can plant it. I want to get solder-less lights from rapid LED, but I don't know how to determine how many and which colors I need.

I've read that 6500k-6700k might be the best light spectrum for growing plants, which leads me to the cool-white LED. I don't know if my assumption is correct. Will I need to have a different color or additional colors?

I will be starting with low light plants, but want to build the lights so that I can have plants requiring more intense lights in the future.

Thanks for the help.

I think LED's are a fine choice. However, not all LED's are created equal. Therefore, its important to understand PAR vs. Distance to achieve the desired amount of light intensity for the type of plants you want.. So you should see if there's PAR data on the lights you are considering. For planted tanks, i prefer light temperatures between 6,000k - 8,000k.

I found this thread very useful in choosing my LED lighting for my planted tanks...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

That's a great link. I believe it deals only with pre made fixtures and I want to make my own. It did help understand PAR numbers though.

Does anyone have experience with DIY LED lights?

Back
Top Bottom