how to dissolve KNO3 and CSM+B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would reduce the amounts...say to 250 or 300ml. This works better is getting the mixture to dissolve. You should always give the bottle(s) a good shake even if it does look dissolved.

I just started using CSM+B and since no one mentioned that the mixture would resemble mud and have a thick solid mass at the bottom, I just gave it some time. Eventually, I had a nice bottle of yucky looking tea.

thanks.

by the way, csm+b has green color first, then after a few days it turns brown (due to oxidation i assume), will it matter?

I mix 1 tsp of CSB+B in 100ml of water. Mixes just fine if you use warm water and make sure it completely dissolved.
As for KNO3, I mix it in about 200ml of tank water and dose it directly into the tank. Never had a problem with it dissolving.

I'm lazy with the KNO3 (since I only dose that and Potassium Phosphate) and dose it dry into my HOB filter. I put it in the side that is sucking the water down and it usually is pretty well dissolved before hitting tank water. I made the mistake of not buying CSM-B, so I've got nothing there.

If you want them to dissolve, then you need to mix them in hot water. Use hot water from the tap, and it will dissolve.

There have been discussions about how iron precipitates out of the aquarium water in a few days. Does this not happen when you mix a dosing solution of CSM+B?

hashbaz, it still happens, but can be prevented by limiting (or omitting) PO4 and light. The ideal mix would probably use RO/DI (Fe falls out faster as KH rises) in an opaque bottle stored in a cool, dark place.

Maybe Fe falling out contributes to CSM+B changing funny colors?

Seachem claims that flourish excel helps keep iron in its chelated state. Has anyone added a little excel to their iron dosing solution?

hashbaz said:
Seachem claims that flourish excel helps keep iron in its chelated state. Has anyone added a little excel to their iron dosing solution?

I add it separate to the tank to ensure my CO2 levels are high enough (DIY setup), but have not added it to the CSM+B stock solution. Frankly after algae/bacteria growth in my stock solution, I have temporarily gone to dry dosing of small amounts every other day. If that causes problems I'll go back to the CSM+B solution, but add some HCl to prevent growth.

I keep my CSM+B in the fridge to keep it cold and in the dark....just label it well as I can't imagine it would taste very good!

Most of the ferts take a while to dissolve. Unless you are adding too much per volume of water you don't need to add it to warm water, although that will speed up the dissolving. I add 25 g (not sure how many tsp that is, looks like 2-3) to 500 ml and it dissolves fine. I make sure to shake (invert) the bottle for a good minute or so after mixing, and then every now and then after that (I mix mine at work so give the bottle a shake every time I move it on my way home). In lab settings, all solutions typically get 20 minutes of stirring before they are considered dissolved, so just be patient! It's also important to invert the bottle a few times before you pour some out to put in tank.

I do 1 teaspoon in ~250ml and have never had a problem. I always use HOT tap water and swirl for about 30 seconds and 90% or so is dissolved. I'll let it sit for a couple minutes and swirl some more, and everything is dissolved. Just make sure you don't cap it right away as it tends to build up a little pressure as it dissolves.

I am trying to dry dose it right now in my 20gallon, we'll see how badly that goes. :)

hashbaz, re: Excel + traces, here you go (also links to some older threads): http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64407

I really liked this, and continued to use it until earlier this year. I only stopped because I no longer use Excel. (I like Excel, I just think it works so well as an algaecide it's cheating :) )

Let me know if you want my readjusted formulas for Excel+CSM+B.

lol, I had no idea that topic had already been discussed. Thanks for the link.

I was thinking just to add a little to the CSM+B solution, but combining Excel dosing with CSM+B dosing is an excellent idea.

czcz said:
I only stopped because I no longer use Excel. (I like Excel, I just think it works so well as an algaecide it's cheating :) )

No matter what anyone else says, there is nothing wrong with cheating!

Back
Top Bottom