How to get more light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 58 gal that I want to set up as a planted tank. Original plan was to keep in a room that gets tons of natural light in addition to replacing the standard bulbs in the light with "plant lights" (standard ballast, 2 18" bulbs). Plans changed and aquarium is going to be in a room with very little natural light. I have the two plant light bulbs, but they only total 30w, which I know is too low for a 58 gal. I don't really want to spend a lot of $$, so are there any cheaper ways to add light?

Thanks,
Kimberly

I don't really want to spend a lot of $$, so are there any cheaper ways to add light?

no [sobbing quietly] I wish there was. The best I have found is to fork over the $$ for compact fluorescent at BigAlsOnline.com.

Does your tank have a full-size hood? If so you might be able to add some shop lights pretty cheep.

I've been able to grab a couple 48" 40w bulbs online as well. $$$ wasn't an issue as I needed the wattage (I have a 75gal tank). Since I got them online, I did save a lot. I think the bulbs were $18 ea at bigals.

Does your tank have a full-size hood? If so you might be able to add some shop lights pretty cheep.

My tank's full size hood is broken, so I only have a half top right now while I look for a new one. Since it is an unusual size it has been harder to find a lid. (I think the measurements are 18" x 36"). What are shop lights?

I will look online at the bulbs as well. Do they make higher wattage bulbs in 18"? I didn't see that, but I was looking while my kids were climbing on me so I was a bit distracted.

Thanks again.
Kimberly

I am wondering if I could use a stand light that I currently have in the room? It is just a regular floor lamp with three light fixtures. I think that they make "plant lights" that can be bought at a place like Home Depot that I could screw into the lamp and have it next to the aquarium with the lights shining in. Would something like that work?

I am not only trying to be cheap, but also trying to not buy any more equipment.

Thanks,
Kimberly

That would definitely work but you would have to use more than the standard wattage to achieve the same thing you would with dedicated CF lighting. That said, quite a few people are doing just what you suggest very successfully :)

What are shop lights?

"shop lights" are the cheap, simple fluorescent lights/fixtures. They come without any covers etc. When I was looking at Lowes and Home Depot, shop lights only seem cost effective at 48". The shorter ones were more expensive.

Well, for now I am using the stand light with 2 60 watt "plant grow bulbs" pointed right at the tank. I also have 2 15 watt cfs on the top. Does that sound like a decent amount of light? I know it is not the best set up, but for now it is the most cost effective if it works. The tank is a 58 gal.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Well, for now I am using the stand light with 2 60 watt "plant grow bulbs" pointed right at the tank. I also have 2 15 watt cfs on the top. Does that sound like a decent amount of light? I know it is not the best set up, but for now it is the most cost effective if it works. The tank is a 58 gal.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this, do you have a pic you could post?

I have succesfully used stand lights on one of my tanks (sorry no pic, I'll do my best to describe). The tank is a 25 gallon plexiglass hex, 2 ft. high. I had 2 goose neck (bendable post) stand lamps, 1 on each side of the tank. In each lamp I had a 19 watt cf indoor/outdoor floodlight bulb, 1.12 wpg. I grew many types of plants in there, mostly low-light; java fern, 6-8 types of crypts, sag. subulata. Surprisingly, I even had a patch of riccia that grew just fine in there too, although it only pearled a few times. The only reason the tank is not in use now is that I had too many tanks going there for a while, had to cut back some due to time constraints. I'd gladly do that setup again if I had time to properly maintain it.

How do I add pictures? I took a picture of my set up to show you guys. I tried to upload it to my gallery and got the following message. The pic is only 159 kb.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6648 bytes) in /home/aquarium/public_html/photopost/image-inc.php on line 115

So what am I doing wrong? :)
Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom