how to get rid of algea in a (soon to be planted) tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, I still have the algae problem, I think we have decided it is blue green algae or hair algae ( someone suggested it in my question about the algae) and its still here to HOW DO I RID OF IT? I found this AlgaeFix stuff on drsfoster and it say's safe to use with plants but.....im Leary....?!????
TIA

just do a 5 day blacout if you do not have plants....

cover up the tank, NO LIGHT for 5 days, can not feed the fish, NO PEAKING....Do a big pwc before and after....

If no plants in tank, as Jdogg suggests, just do a 5 day blackout. Definately avoid algae killing chemicals. A search of this forum will give great info on Blackouts, as well as MANY disaster stories of people who tried to use one of those supposedly safe algae killers.

After the blackout, be ready to go planted right away (lights, CO2, ferts, plants). Otherwise, the conditions that allowed algae to prosper to begin with will not have changed, and you will get algae again.

blazeyreef said:
well I do have a few plants.... and DIY CO2, and lighting right now.....
in that case maybe try a 3 day black out... MOST plants can survive that...

ok.....so 3 day's with no ferts, no C02, no light...no feeding, anything else? ok...I will do!
Thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom