How to get rid of bba and hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just throwing this out there. I had what appeared to be hair algae growing on my wilting wisteria leaves (before I broke it and replanted) and driftwood.

I got 2 amano and 1 red ramshorn just because I like them.

I will say my driftwood is clean and almost INSTANTLY that little red snail slugged to the wisteria and nearly cleaned those leaves bare.

It could just be luck but for algae I would take these over my pleco and fox any day TBH. Im beginning to worry there isnt enough algea in the tank now for everything. Im supplementing veggies but think Im going to be getting some wafers.

just throwing this out there. I had what appeared to be hair algae growing on my wilting wisteria leaves (before I broke it and replanted) and driftwood.

I got 2 amano and 1 red ramshorn just because I like them.

I will say my driftwood is clean and almost INSTANTLY that little red snail slugged to the wisteria and nearly cleaned those leaves bare.

It could just be luck but for algae I would take these over my pleco and fox any day TBH. Im beginning to worry there isnt enough algea in the tank now for everything. Im supplementing veggies but think Im going to be getting some wafers.

Again just solution not a fix

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I meant to type "can shrimp tolerate Liquid co2?" Sorry

Amano shrimp do the best.

As stated a few times before, your algae is because you have too much light, and no co2 and fertilizers. Either invest in a co2 setup and EI/PPS-Pro, or go down to low light.

would it be possible to take one bulb out so that I have only 24 watts of t5ho? Would that be considered low light?

Again just solution not a fix

Well you guys all mentioned his lighting so he can take care of that, but then after rectifying he will need something to eliminate whats there.

Just throwing something out there.

What about liquid excel? Will that help put some CO into his tank to control his situation aside lowering his light or lighting schedule.

Well you guys all mentioned his lighting so he can take care of that, but then after rectifying he will need something to eliminate whats there.

Just throwing something out there.

What about liquid excel? Will that help put some CO into his tank to control his situation aside lowering his light or lighting schedule.
He already is dosing glut. Which doesn't actually add co2 at all.

How often do you change your bulbs? I let mine T5 and CFL bulbs go over a year without changing them and had the same algae problem pop up. On T5 lights you need to change them at least once a year, some say twice a year. Fluorescent bulbs need to be changed yearly too. I also got algae when I forgot to change out my DIY CO2 bottles for 4 weeks. Taking out a bulb or two will lower the light. Raising it higher above the tank will lower the amount of light too. The peroxide treatment is a good way to get rid of what is there or spot treating with the glut.

My mollies and snails are all eating the hair algae. I have ramshorns, Malaysian trumpet, olive nerites, pond snails, and mystery snails. I also have ghost shrimp who seem to be eating the algae.

I only have 2 bulbs on my tank at the moment. 48 watts in all

I agree that Excel/Glut does not add Co2 to the tank but it is a Carbon source which is available to plants allowing them to flourish and grow thus denying algae of nutrients. Excel also has an algaecide which further prevents many invasive algae.
Caution is needed as some plants are not very tolerant of Excel, add at a low dose and slowly increase dosage.

I am going to take one bulb out, so I only have 24 watts of t5ho on the tank. I am going to start dosing some liquid ferts and continue dosing carbon.
Do you think I before starting this I could do I 4 day blackout to kill off the algae that is present? It is covering the leaves of my plants.

I am going to take one bulb out, so I only have 24 watts of t5ho on the tank. I am going to start dosing some liquid ferts and continue dosing carbon.
Do you think I before starting this I could do I 4 day blackout to kill off the algae that is present? It is covering the leaves of my plants.

You can if you want

Back
Top Bottom