How to get started with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I I just got a 10g tank that is in the process of fishless cycling. I was thinking of making it a planted tank. This is s really new idea to me, and have a lot of questions. My tank only has two 15w white bulbs, is 12 inches deep, and I only have plastic gravel ( I didnt think I was doing plants originally, so I got the pathetic stuff... Sorry). Is my tank compatible for plants as is? I cant get bulbs any stronger, the fixture would melt. I'm going to need fertilizer though right? And what about co2? I am currently interested in getting moneywort, java fern, and wisteria. I also like water sprite, but I haven't found a store that sells it yet.

What do you mean? They're just 15w (120v) clear aquarium light bulbs... Like I said im a newbie.

Swap them for some screw in CFL bulbs in the daylight spectrum and you'll be off to a good start. A good nutrient rich substrate is always good, but not really required. Stick with some easy to grow plants like ferns, java moss, anubias, etc, till you get more comfortable with it.

Can someone explain the whole, lightbulb thing? What's the difference between mine and the clf ones? Are they both compatible in the same fixture? Would the plants not grow with these bulbs? I'm so confused... Because if they don't, then I guess I'm not getting plants.

Yours are incandescent bulbs, they have next to zero benefit for plants, if you get CFL's (compact florescent lightbulbs) in the 10w-15w range and they say daylight or have the number 6500K (around there) on the packaging, your plants will grow much better. You can find them at Walmart, Target, HD and Lowe's (to name a few).

Here's a great website for plant info/pics: PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

cfls are the little spiral energy efficient bulbs that almost everyone is using now (or at least should be... they save a lot of money every month :))

Sad part is, I just bought 4 new bulbs a few weeks ago. And I don't even think my fixture can support those bulbs from what I've seen. So I'm really sad now. I was so looking forward to plants :'(

If they are ANY bigger at all than the ones I have now, they won't fit. Like, if they are any wider than the screw part, they wont fit. And the ones I found online looked bigger. But il look anyway. (fingers crossed)

Ellenquacker72 said:
If they are ANY bigger at all than the ones I have now, they won't fit. Like, if they are any wider than the screw part, they wont fit. And the ones I found online looked bigger. But il look anyway. (fingers crossed)

Humm... Can you post a pick of the fixture (bulb side)with just 1 bulb installed?

Usually there's enough room and if the CFL touches the reflector, it should be fine since CFL's don't heat up like incan bulbs. I have a couple like that, that are on 24/7 and they work fine.

I think my tank is really old... We got it out of the trash... It really looks like it ws designed specifically for the tubes I have, and nothing else. But il try to put up a picture.

Can someone post a picture of the CFL fixture with a light? I kinda want to know what I'm going for here if that's ok :D

I actually looked them up a few hours ago, I kinda just want to know which one to look for specifically since there are many variations

That's a cool looking CFL. It's for marine and the blue tube won't do much, but I have a split tube CPF like that on my BW tank and really like the look. Can't say I'd recommend it and Walmart might be a better place to look IMO.

Back
Top Bottom