How to get Water Lettuce in Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been trying to get some water lettuce to float in my 150 gal tank for my gourami's. The large root systems will give nice cover and help fill in my tank since it's 30" deep.

I can't buy it online as people are not allowed to sell it if you are in Florida.

My LFS's don't have any plants that float. Do I need to start pulling plants out of ponds?

I think that's the only way, and I don't know the legality of that either. Some hobbyists ship without knowing about the plant laws and end up breaking a few laws when selling/trading stuff around. There's a lot of risk involved in that though since ignorance doesn't release anyone from responsibility.

Anyone know the legality of the dwarf version? Have you thought of other floating plants? Frogbit, salvinia (quite a few different varieties out there), red root floater, azolla or watersprite (can be planted or left floating)

Yeah I don't think it's illegal to possess it here, just illegal to transport it here or to other states listed.

From what I've seen, I got some stuff labeled as dwarf water lettuce years ago and it's the same species as the large water lettuce, it just doesn't grow as big unless i put it outside in a pond setting. The exact same little half dollar size plants when put into a container pond grow into grocery store size heads of lettuce.

There could be a real dwarf version but I've had a hard time finding any information on it.

Yeah I don't think it's illegal to possess it here, just illegal to transport it here or to other states listed.

From what I've seen, I got some stuff labeled as dwarf water lettuce years ago and it's the same species as the large water lettuce, it just doesn't grow as big unless i put it outside in a pond setting. The exact same little half dollar size plants when put into a container pond grow into grocery store size heads of lettuce.

There could be a real dwarf version but I've had a hard time finding any information on it.

Same here. Stays relatively small inside, even when I put it outside during the spring/summer in tubs it stays small. Very little info I can find, most is just people's personal experiences, can't find a scientific name on it or any legalities.

I have it in my aquarium. It multiples like crazy, just need medium lighting (i just have regular lighting probably like 1.5 watts/gal) My gold fish and cichlids not seem to like eating it much but my shrimp enjoy hanging on them. If one gets to big for you just remove it from the tank.

I have it in my aquarium. It multiples like crazy, just need medium lighting (i just have regular lighting probably like 1.5 watts/gal) My gold fish and cichlids not seem to like eating it much but my shrimp enjoy hanging on them. If one gets to big for you just remove it from the tank.

AJ,
Did you buy it or did you pull it out of a pond?

Back
Top Bottom