How to grow java moss in a jar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What it say in the title.

i currently have a small piece of moss which i have put into a jar with tank water is there anything i need to do to help it grow?

Im planning on putting it in my bedroom window and check up on it everyday

I would just do water changes on it to replenish nutrients and trace elements in the water.

Caleb

I've had moss (Java, flame) in a jar for years. Honestly, I just top off the evaporation. I may have actually changed the water a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a small bit in with my blackworms, and it grew to a giant, which I just split in half yesterday. But it was growing crazy fast.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I was planning on changing the water daily and maybe clean the moss once in a while

Also do I need to keep the lid on and can I use normal tap water or do I need to use tank water?

I had a small bit in with my blackworms, and it grew to a giant, which I just split in half yesterday. But it was growing crazy fast.

How did you manage to grow so much?

I have to thin out my Java Moss every couple of weeks. Left alone it grows bigger than a football. I have medium lighting, medium Co2 and use Flourish daily (about 1ml in my 65g tank).
In my shrimp tank I have overhead daylight and no additional ferts and it too grows to fill the whole tank if left alone.
In both tanks it took a little while to take off but once established its a monster, in a good way!

Hmmm I can't really get it to grow in my tank it's really dark green colour looks lifeless and there are parts that are dying....

That's why I have started to grow it in a jar. I was wondering can I use tap water or do I need to use tank water?

Hmmm I can't really get it to grow in my tank it's really dark green colour looks lifeless and there are parts that are dying....

That's why I have started to grow it in a jar. I was wondering can I use tap water or do I need to use tank water?

The ferts need to come from somewhere. Filling it with WC water once a week should provide what it needs, assume that water is itself fertilized or without plants.

The ferts need to come from somewhere. Filling it with WC water once a week should provide what it needs, assume that water is itself fertilized or without plants.

That's doesn't really answer my question :/
So does that mean I can use normal tap water or no?

I think it would be fine. The dochlorinator used in tanks is mainly for the fish and the BB in your filter.

Caleb

I mentioned in post #3 that I top off with tap water. But the moss has been there for years and at one time or other there have been all kinds of things growing in there such as seed shrimp, worms, hydra, mosquito larva (what?), fungus, etc. It is not a new setup and there is a lot of processes going on in there.
As for just using tap water, it depends on the lighting. More light, more demand for nutrients and IMO you wouldn't get that from tap water alone. I would use water from your shrimp tank. Or you could setup two jars, split the moss, use tap water for one jar and tank water for the other jar and report your findings (over time).

I mentioned in post #3 that I top off with tap water. But the moss has been there for years and at one time or other there have been all kinds of things growing in there such as seed shrimp, worms, hydra, mosquito larva (what?), fungus, etc. It is not a new setup and there is a lot of processes going on in there.
As for just using tap water, it depends on the lighting. More light, more demand for nutrients and IMO you wouldn't get that from tap water alone. I would use water from your shrimp tank. Or you could setup two jars, split the moss, use tap water for one jar and tank water for the other jar and report your findings (over time).

Alright thanks for your help i appreciate :) ill carry on using tank water!
i currently dont have enough moss to start two jars so i will try as soon as i get some more :)

I have another question if you dont mind answering.
In the same tank i have 2 jungle val planted in sand for quite a while now and they are growing real well they are starting to cover the top of the tank.
But the problem is that they are not propagating why is that?

What kind of light and fertilizers are you providing the Val's?

I don't use any fertilisers as of yet but I recently bought tetra plantamin to see how it work....haven't started using it yet.

And my light is Aqua fux 13w 7200k
I don't think it's the light as all my plants in there are going fine especially the jungle val

Back
Top Bottom