Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How to keep a Planted tank Flourishing

Ok,

I've had plants before in my tank and really have never had a problem, but I know I need more now. I've read a lot of the articles here on ferts, root tabs and CO2.

Can anyone give me a quick plants for dummies run down? What exactly will I need besides my root tabs to keep my plants flourishing and green?

I have an 80 gallon tank that recently became heavly planted. There are so many products out their and I need some hands on info. TIA.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I cannot help you with your question, I just wanted to say that your tank looks great!

Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree - your tank looks wonderful!

What ferts you need will depend a whole lot on what kind of lighting you have. At higher light levels the plants will require more fertilization. At lower lighting levels you might just be able to put some Flourish in there and call it a day. Also, it depends on what particular plants you have, and let their growth and condition be your guide. If your tank stays like it looks in the pic then I'd say keep on like you have been!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read all the stickies at the top of the forum. They aren't exactly 'for dummies' but are for beginners who may not have the foggiest idea what NPK nutrients are, or that their lack of lighting is why everything dies in 2 weeks.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ferts- you need Greg Watson, the price is right and the method is the way to go! Got my stuff 6 months ago and have not been back for soooo looooong (sorry guys) but when it works it works
Old 10-08-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a great looking tank Fawn. You've got an eye for aesthetics.

From what I can tell you've got mostly low light species. Anubias, Java fern, anacharis, and I think I see a crypt and some water sprite. Here's what I would do. Keep an eye on Nitrate reduction. If it falls below 10ppm dose KNO3 gradually. I wouldn't worry about root tabs or anything else. You don't have any heavy root feeders that I can see and if your lighting isn't intense, you aren't forcing a heavy nutrient uptake. JMO
Old 10-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Could you give us an idea of exactly what you have?
like.. lighting.. what type and how many watts it puts out?
plant species and current water peramiters (do you have a PO4 testkit?)

The tank looks great.. you must have done something right..

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com