How to Keep Shrimp Out of My Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlen3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got some of my Cherry Shrimp in a small tank with an AquaClear Mini HOB filter. I put a piece of filter sponge over the intake tube to keep them out of the filter........or so I thought.:)
I cleaned the filter today and there was an adult sized shrimp in the filter. How in the world did he get in there? And more importantly, how do I keep them out in the future.
I'm hoping to have babies eventually, and if an adult could get in there the babies will have no problem as well.
Do I have to change filter type or is there something else I can do?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Len

That could be. I have a sponge on that return to dampen surface disturbance for CO2 and he may have climbed that. Never thought of that. I was thinking he somehow got through the pre-filter sponge.

Len

Small tank and enough plants and you don't need the filter.

As you know, it's hard to let particulates pass through but block baby shrimp. A small pore sponge is about the best you can do. Lots of people harvest Cherries from their filter though. A guy in my club cleans out his cannister before meets so he has plenty to trade :) I don't think you should worry about it, just check the filter and transfer them over when you feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom