How to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vintage rose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please if you could, give this beginner some help. I really need a step by step process for starting up my tank plants first. I have a 55 gallon tank with so far just a large hanging filter. Please give me instructions on how to go from glass up. I have been doing my homework but it still seems confusing. From substrate heaters to actual substrate to which plants and which lights. Help please!

Hmmmm.....

Well, there are a lot of stickes at the top of this forum that will give you a lot of information, but I was really confused at first too when I started planting a tank, and the stickies get pretty technical.

The basics of what you need are:

A really good light source. You will want to go with t-5s or PC lighting. You will need at least 2 WPG to get a really planted tank going. Anything less limits you on the kind of plants you can have (java ferns, anacharis, maybe some crypts or anubias)

A nutrient source. Most low light, low tech planted tanks rely mostly on the fish for fertilizer, but once you get over that low light threshold, you need fertilizers. If you want to go that route, post the kinds of plants you want, the type of lighting you have, and the size tank you have and we can help you set up an esitmative index fertilizer schedule.

Substrate: You will want a substrate for a planted tank. Look for Eco Complete, Flourite, Amazonia Aqua Soil. These soils are clay based and will help your plants root, and flourish.

Heater...Well, I use regular old glass tetra tec heaters in my planted tank. You can get fancy and use a substrate heating coil if you want.

CO2 source...Again, for the over 2WPG tanks. If your tank is small enough and you have enough time, you can do it cheap DIY with yeast, sugar, 2 liter or empty milk jugs, and either a power head or some other diffusion method (ladder, bell, filter intake, custom reactor)

Fish, of course

And plants. Look to plantgeek.com to find some ideas. It would help a lot to know what kind of plants you want, and specifics about your system.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you look at my log, my tanks specs are in the first post for a 55. It tells exactly what i have in there, what i dose and what i inject for CO2.

The link is in my signature.

I would definately recommend checking out the Read this First sticky at the top of the forum. There's a lot of information in the linked threads, but we'll be more than happy to help you sort it out. Just ask questions as you get lost or confused. You may want to start out with one of the general planted tank articles as this will give you a better overview of everything you need to know, then proceed into the threads that discuss various topics in more detail.

MyCatsDrool has given you a broad list of the things that you will need to consider. Before you make a decision about each of these things, you'll need to decide what type of planted tank you want to keep. This can be decided by the types of plants that you want to keep, the amount of maintenance that you're willing to perform, or the budget that you want to stick to. Give us a bit better idea of what you're trying to achieve and we can give you much more specific advice.

Do you have to have CO2 injector if you have plants in your tank? I have a 75 gallon tank with rainbow tetras, cory cat, giant danios and swordtails. I have a canister filter and I want to add amzon sword and java fern plants. CAn I just add liquid CO2 to the water?

The key factor on adding CO2 is lighting. It's pointless to add CO2 if you have under 1.5 wpg of lighting as it's the light that drives photosynthesis and thus nutrient uptake. Over 2 wpg and you MUST add CO2 or you will grow only algae.

Your planted tank can be beautiful without the Hi tech and expensive equipment. Just select the proper low light plants.

The only "liquid CO2" is Flourish Excel. It's actually a liquid carbon source an not CO2. Unfortunately it would cost a fortune to dose in a 75 gallon tank.

While CO2 injections is beneficial to plants at all lighting levels, it is only required for tanks that have medium high light or better. These tanks quickly become an algae farm without the CO2.

Back
Top Bottom