How to plant Broad leaf ludwigia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a few stems of broad leaf ludwigia. Need tips on how to disinfect it before putting in a tank, care advices. Do I need to cut the very ends before planting? Does it need a root tab? Help me out, people, I really like this plant, want to make it work! Thanks

It a very easy plant. You have 2 choices either take the very bottom leaves off and just stuff it in the substrate or you can just leave it floating.

To disinfect, put it in a 19:1 water:bleach solution for 5 minutes. Rinse well and soak in a solution of Prime and water (extra prime). Rinse again and plant as stated above. I don't believe that these will need root tabs. Mine are growing like crazy without.

Awesome, thanks folks! I planted them before I read all the tips but it looks like I did all of what you said!
I disinfected it with hydrogen peroxide solution tho. Got rid of few lower leaves, put in in substrate without root tab.
I really like it, hope it takes off!

Attachments

• image-748452852.jpg
    image-748452852.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 180
I noticed you planted them in a bunch. You need to remove them and plant each stem individually with the leaves of each stem almost touching the leaves of the stems around them. Plant them in a group this way as planting in a bunch can lead to various problems.

Also what lighting and bulbs are you using? Are you using any ferts or liquid carbon?

Oh boy... Well, I'll have to separate them tomorrow then. As for lighting, I have a full spec 15w fluorescent and a 15w pink incan. It's a 10g tank. I really don't have lots of funds to spend on pro lighting... So I run those at day time and have blue led for evening. And also just bought seachem excel for liquid CO2. I had only anubia and marimo in there before that. No ferts, have plenty nitrate in water. New to plants! Am I doomed to fail..?

No all sounds fine but you are going to have to start using ferts. Plants need more than nitrates as fertilizers. You need to get and start using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone to use as directed. I also don't know what your nitrate reading is but you want to shoot for 10-20ppm.

I'll look into that. My nitrate reading is btw 20-40ppm. I know it's a lil high. And yes, I do over feed them a bit. Not in means that there is excess food, they eat it all, they just produce more waste afterwords. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0, so my bacteria is doing its job. I do 20% PWC weekly.

It's best to do a 50% WC weekly to keep nutrient levels low. If you increase your WC amount your nitrates will be lower.

Followed the advice and separated ludwigia stems. Just a few days and it looks like it is adapting pretty good and fast! Definitely can see new growth! Every single plant took off! I got these from my local LFS, will be back there for more plants in the future.

My anacharis on the other hand all died off... Just a few little thingies survived so far, not sure if something will come out of it. I got it from petsmart, what a horrible purchase that was... Confused if this plant was just bad or was not too suitable for the conditions I have...

Back
Top Bottom