Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How to plant plants in a 2.5 gal tank?

Hello! I've just started fish keeping, and i've decided i'd like to plant real plants in my tank. However, i don't know what to do. What is cheap substrate i can use, what materials do i need (fertilizers, etc.), and most importantly, what plants can I use? Thanks!
(oh yeah, i have a 2.5 gallon aqueon mini bow tank with a happy betta. filtered, and soon will be heating for winter)

Old 09-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 3.5 gal betta tank with one fish in it and planted the plants I bought at PetSmart in regular gravel at the bottom. One of them I just left floating because I wanted the shade. All plants are doing fine! I haven't given them any fertilizer or anything. I might in the future if they start to look bad. Just wash them off before you put them in the tank. I posted a picture yesterday under freshwater getting started section of forum. I was having heater trouble...Good luck!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

A lot of popular plants in the hobby like java ferns, anubias, sword plants, and most mosses and Marimo moss balls do not need anything but light. Most plants I listed could probably do fine with just ambient room ligting

Tags
plant, plants, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com