How to position driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just starting a 40g tank (got first fish today) and I am planning on use driftwood and live plants. I am going to take my time with the plants, so I wanted to start with driftwood and build around it. I found a cheap piece of Mopani driftwood in petco and am about to put it in my tank.

I'm not exactly in love with the shape of the wood (like I said, it was cheap). I can't seem to decide how it will look best in the tank - standing on its side, lying flat, light side vs black side etc.

I was hoping I could get some opinions from people on which position looks the most natural and would be the most interesting for the fish to swim around. I really want this tank to look natural, and since this is the first thing i'm putting in the tank I feel like some input would help

Pictures should be below (of front and back of piece + tank). The wood is about a foot long. Thanks for any ideas/opinions/comments!!

dsc02927j.jpg

dsc02928g.jpg

dsc02924zo.jpg

what i would do with it is have it off cent on the right/left with the u shape at like a 45 degree angle. then build up from there. you might want to go with a couple more to build up or out a little more.

I like what mgamer said and I would plant a tall plant behind it (vals maybe) and then an anubias right in front of it...toward the right if the riftwood is on the right, toward the left if it's on the left. :)

Back
Top Bottom