How to prepare driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a driftwood for my tank. I just don't know how to prepare it.

Is it possible for someone to give me steps please

Thank you

If you don't want tannins to stain your water you can boil it for an hour than soak it in a bucket for a week. I always boil mine to kill off any nastiness that may be living within.

If it's small enough another good way to prep it is to wedge it in your toilet tank. It stays submerged, the tannins leech out, and the stained water is constantly switched for clean.

If it's small enough another good way to prep it is to wedge it in your toilet tank. It stays submerged, the tannins leech out, and the stained water is constantly switched for clean.
What a great idea! Constantly changing water, I like it!

Best thing to do is just soak it changing the water at least every other day to release the excess tannins. If it floats place a rock on top. If it is mopani or other african root type wood it will take a long time.

Best thing to do is just soak it changing the water at least every other day to release the excess tannins. If it floats place a rock on top. If it is mopani or other african root type wood it will take a long time.
or... Put it in ze toilet tank! Best idea ever!

I decided to put it in the toilet tank, but do I have to boil it first and then put it in?
And also how long should I leave it in the toilet tank?

I just bought a driftwood for my tank. I just don't know how to prepare it.

Is it possible for someone to give me steps please

Thank you

Hello D...

The process is simple. Rinse the piece well in warm tap water and put it into the tank. Schedule this activity when you do a water change. The lower water level makes aquascaping much easier. If the piece leaches some tannic acid, then fine. It's good for the plants. Aquatic plants like water with a bit lower pH. Do large, frequent water changes and the water will clear. This is all you need to do.

B

I decided to put it in the toilet tank, but do I have to boil it first and then put it in?
And also how long should I leave it in the toilet tank?

no need to boil it. If it is leeching a lot of tannins overnight when you flush your toilet you should see discoloration of the water coming into the bowl. When this flushes clear after overnight soaking you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom