How to remove staghorn algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's loads of staghorn algae growing on my vallisneria. I tried ripping them off myself and I accidentally ripped the leaves of my vallisneria :eek: so I just stopped doing it.

My tank is 24 gallons and 30cm high with 36 watts of lighting.

What's the cause of staghorn algae and how do I get rid of it?

:thanks:

Staghorn likes very little c02 in its water, so if you aren't already, start dosing with some sort of c02 booster. it also makes your plants happy to fertilize them, with c02, and other necessities.

Val's tend to be very sensitive to liquid carbons such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Glut. Many people have Val's melt when using them just so you know. Are you sure it's staghorn algae? Posting a picture will be helpful. If it is indeed staghorn it is a very easy algae to manage. First when dealing with any algae only run lighting 6 hours daily until the problem is remedied. Also what is your WC schedule and how much do you change weekly? What is your nitrate and phosphate reading? Treating staghorn with Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is easy. Pull up 3ml of Peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water in a syringe, turn off filters, slowly squirt algae, leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot you will have to treat an area a day. Also increase water flow in the tank as staghorn tends to prefer stiller water. Your plants should slightly sway when there is enough flow. I use small nano powerheads to increase movement in my tanks if needed.

Also, just another thought, if you get too much growth and it isn't dying, you can get some scissors and trim the algae.

Follow the treatment I listed, run lighting 6 hours daily until all algae issues are under control, increase water flow in the tank, and if possible use DIY CO2 or pressurized CO2 especially if you have a higher light tank. I found over the years that just doing the spot treating and getting a good flow in the tank takes care the staghorn.

Well my filter already produces quite a strong current on the surface of the water so that's fine.
I run the aquarium lights from 3pm to 9pm.
And I just added a CO2 diffuser.

So is this all?

Just because you have a strong water flow at the water surface doesn't mean you have a good flow throughout the tank. Do all your plants sway slightly? Almost all tanks have some area/s of dead zones.

If you just added pressurize CO2 or any CO2 you don't want heavy surface agitation as that will quickly gass off the CO2 being added to the tank. You want the heavy surface movement at night to help dissipate the CO2 but not during the day.

Yes my plants sway slightly in the current but I can't turn my filter off because...well...its the filter.

Glad I found this thread! Hey Janis :)
Nikki - Thanks for posting a pic. My tank has been plagued by the same algae. I have been spot treating with hydrogen peroxide and it has been turning pinkish red. I have decent flow (2x AC50s in a 20g long) and the plants with the most stag horn are in the front where there is a moderate to strong current. I have adequate CO2 (lime green drop checker). The culprit might be the lighting. It is on about 7.5 hours per days. I recently switched from a Finnex FugeRay to a Finnex Planted+. I actually ran both for almost two weeks and that when things took a turn. First it was green spot algae, so I upped the phosphate. The GSA went away but that is when the stag horn started to take over. I cut out about 90% with scissors (on stem plants so it was not a problem) but it is slowly coming back.
I will try dialing back an hour or two on the lights and see if that helps.
Sorry for the hijack but wanted to add my 2 cents. Good luck with this.

Turning off filters for short periods of time is absolutely fine. In my 220g the filters are turned off 3 hours weekly to do 50% WC's without incident.

I have the same thing! My amono shrimp think it's quite tasty. I did see a decrease with the co2 and adding iron and potassium and cutting our light intensity. I've come to live with the little that persists and employ a large algae eating team to control it.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom