How to Rescape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piphobbit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When I first set up my fluval edge in December, I had done some research on beginner plants and bought some hornwort and Java moss, along with some ludwigia repens to add some colour. It looked so pretty when I first put it in. 7 months later, the moss has grown into a huge monster, the hornwort is a giant floating bush and the ludwigia is leggy and sad. There is so much plant life that my white cloud minnow can barely feed from the surface! Add to that green fuzzy glass because the aquarium is just in front of a window. So many newbie mistakes all compiling into one hideously overgrown tank...

I desperately want to redo this tank but have no idea how to do it. What do I do with the fish and shrimp inside? At this point I have no idea where the shrimp are, since they're all tangled in the moss. I would like to do something clean, maybe iwagumi style....I have an empty aquarium that's about 30 gallons. The only thing is that there is no stand for it, so I have nowhere to set it up.

Should I just try to groom the existing tank? Or is there a way to rehaul it and temporarily relocate its residents?

when i replaced the substrate in my 10 i moved the plants and residents into icecream containtainers. as long as its not for too long,the fish will be fine in most containers as long as there big enough

alLexX said:
when i replaced the substrate in my 10 i moved the plants and residents into icecream containtainers. as long as its not for too long,the fish will be fine in most containers as long as there big enough

Thanks! Ice cream containers eh? I can deal with emptying a few of those haha!

Will redoing all of the substrate be a big shock to the fish when I put them back in? Right now I have Tahitian Moon Sand, but was thinking of going for soil and pool filter sand (or reusing the black sand). Mostly I want the substrate to be more solid so that the plants to come out anymore.

Thanks! Ice cream containers eh? I can deal with emptying a few of those haha!

Will redoing all of the substrate be a big shock to the fish when I put them back in? Right now I have Tahitian Moon Sand, but was thinking of going for soil and pool filter sand (or reusing the black sand). Mostly I want the substrate to be more solid so that the plants to come out anymore.
it had no effect on mine,just make sure to leave the filter media alone for a couple weeks

Thanks! I'll have to try it an let you know how it goes :D Now to plan out the new scape. Hmmmm...!

Back
Top Bottom