How to rid snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not hijacking at all. :) I'm pretty sure assassins would be fine in your tank. They burrow a little but not enough to hurt anything.

Hholly said:
You're not hijacking at all. :) I'm pretty sure assassins would be fine in your tank. They burrow a little but not enough to hurt anything.

Thanks!!! They won't hurt nerite snails, right? I'm sure they don't but I just had to double check:) thanks!!!

Assassin snails won't bother your nerite snails. They're too big for them. My assassins have never bothered my mystery snail but loved( note the past tense) my rams horn snails

Fdsh5 said:
Assassin snails won't bother your nerite snails. They're too big for them. My assassins have never bothered my mystery snail but loved( note the past tense) my rams horn snails

Don't ramshorn snails eat plants?

Hholly said:
Yeah, let me know how they work for you.

I added 4 Yo Yo loaches to my 100G two weeks ago, so far there is still a lot of tiny snails, but I think that there are less than before!

I hope that they will keep eating them.

I liked that the loaches worked for your tank!!! But not for me...

Other ideas in the snail problems?....looks like my YOYO loaches are not eating the snails, they keep reproducing !,

Am I overfeeding the tank? So the loaches are not hungry for snails?

I added a piece of lettuce at nights, but in the morning, NONE of the snails are eating or attached to the lettuce ????

Suggestions will be appreciated .

Netting them out works. Just keep a container close to your tank and net out as many as you see on the glass, anytime you pass by the tank.

Hholly said:
Netting them out works. Just keep a container close to your tank and net out as many as you see on the glass, anytime you pass by the tank.

But they are soo tiny! Hard to net....

Also they come out at dark... Once I turn the lights on, they dig their bodies into the sand...

I tried just doing the zucchini way alone, before figuring out I was fighting a losing battle. For every one snail I would pull out there were 10-20 in an egg sac waiting to hatch. The assassins dig down into the substrate and every nook and cranny to eat the snails. I wasn't big on the idea of more snails to kill snails, however I only bought 5 assassins and they've really put a bigger dent in the snail population than I could.

Do you ever see your assassins? I put four in my 75g and after the first day I did not see them again. It seems like the other snails are not as plentiful but that could be wishful thinking on my part. I do see an occasional empty snail shell but that is no proof the assassins are still alive....they are such a pretty snail I would like to see them.

Back
Top Bottom