How to set up a CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditch the brass bubble counter and opt for a cheap inline one. That specific brass style bubble counter is known for leaking. Even with a check valve before the bubble counter, you don't want to have water sitting on the valve bubbling. I run a few tanks without them, just use a bubble counter initially to dial in my bubs per sec.

I also agree with previous in that CO2 is not required to have a nice planted tank.

You don't need CO2 to have a densely planted tank. Nor does a specialty substrate require CO2. I have 2 planted tanks that I started out dosing with metricide 14 (undiluted and at half the dose of excel) and both became VERY densely packed with foliage. Since then I have changed both of my tanks over to high tech CO2 injected aquariums 1 of which is a 10g and the other is a 55g.

If you desire CO2 then you will need to supplement with proper fertilization or it will be pointless. Either the pressurized route or DIY route will yield similar results.

Hi Mebbid, can you share what you have for your high tech co2 set up. I am working on figuring out what to get for my 75 gal planted. I was going to get an aquatek reg and 5 lb co2 tank. I have to figure out what diffuser, tubing and timer to get. Thank you

I know your not asking me but look at your local welding supply. I just bought a 15lb tank for $80.00 On one in my area could even come close to that. I use a ph controller and it's awesome!! Makes life easy

I know your not asking me but look at your local welding supply. I just bought a 15lb tank for $80.00 On one in my area could even come close to that. I use a ph controller and it's awesome!! Makes life easy

Thanks finding the tank isn't an issue but can you share what PH controller you have and how it works etc.

I have a Milwaukee MC 122ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396051229.968055.jpg
The CO2 directly affects the pH.
More CO2 lowers the pH... Less CO2 higher pH. My unit is set at 6.8 and will run to pH 6.6 then goes off. Sooo the tank never swings more then 2/10's until a water change. You need a solenoid valve in line with the CO2 system and the controller turns on and off automatically.

I have a Milwaukee MC 122View attachment 230611
The CO2 directly affects the pH.
More CO2 lowers the pH... Less CO2 higher pH. My unit is set at 6.8 and will run to pH 6.6 then goes off. Sooo the tank never swings more then 2/10's until a water change. You need a solenoid valve in line with the CO2 system and the controller turns on and off automatically.

Interesting, my ph bottomed out weeks ago and I added crushed coral to my filter. If I had a ph controller could I remove the crushed coral ? Does the controller disperse the co2 ?

I believe you could remove the coral yes. I don't have any coral Myself. There is a wide range of CO2 regulators that have solenoid valves built-inView attachment 230695
When it's plugged in the solenoid opens when it's unplugged the solenoid turns off and closes. The pH controller sense power to the solenoid as needed then off again. View attachment 230696
I under filter my 75 it is only turned on with my CO2 by the controller. View attachment 230697
You can make a CO2 rectifier in line for canister filters. I use the standard diffuser directly underneath my filter intake by the time the water goes through the filter and back into the tank the CO2 is 100% absorbed no lost Bubbles and no extra bubbles in the tank. Only pearling

Interesting, my ph bottomed out weeks ago and I added crushed coral to my filter. If I had a ph controller could I remove the crushed coral ? Does the controller disperse the co2 ?

What do you mean bottom out?

Hey mudraker, I too shared your feelings on co2 injection and likewise, just decided to dive in. I also was surprised at the simplicity of setting it up. However, I wanted to address 1 thing you did that may become a problem in your situation, but should be easily remedied. You stated that you had to lay your bottle on its side for space reasons (understandable). I think this could become a concern for you as your bottle empties; a co2 tank is 1/2 oxygen, and 1/2 liquid. There is a chance that at some point you will begin to draw in liquid and possibly damage your regulator and/or inject liquid co2 into you tank, both of which could be very bad, and costly. Just thought I'd mention that on the off chance that you missed that consideration. Let me know your thoughts on this.
Hope it goes well (for both of us).

Sent from my LG-D959 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much is the initial hardware cost and the monthly maintenance cost of running the CO2 system posted by the OP?

How much faster will plants grow with this CO2 system compared to not having CO2? Is 5x growth rate possible? Or is it more like 2x plant growth rate?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got about $210invested in CO2, including the purchase of the bottle. I hoping to get 6mos of use before I refill. My refills will run $24. As for growth, I haven't been able to see much, but I'm learning my lighting may be my biggest problem.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

I just added pressurized co2 to my 25 gal tank ,I went to welding store and bought a 5 lb bottle for $89 also got a regulator for 75
I bought a inline atomizer and bubble counter for 35 online also bought needle valve on line for $15
I run my system 24/7 I don't have a solenoid valve and I don't think I need it
My co2 level is between 30 and 40
Since I added co2 my plants really took of
I love watching bubbles of o2 cover the plants and floating up ,they usually kick into full gear around 2pm
My light are on for 12 hours a day
My tank pressures are 1000psi on high side and 19psi on low
I'm hoping to get 6-8 month out my bottle before refill I will see

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The solenoid will conserve your CO2 at night when plants don't need it. Without a solenoid you will run out of co2 twice as fast unless you turn it on and off manually every day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

CO2 setup

Hello,
i had an idea how to set up my DIY CO2 system.
What about connecting co2 from yeast bottles to filter outflow pipe (with T connector) and then point that outflow to the bottom part of aquarium (it should spread co2 everywhere and it should quickly disslove). It would add CO2 even at night...so to protect fish from too much co2 at night, I will stir the surface by air bubbles from little air pump that would be connected to a time switch so it works only at night(during the day there should be enought O2 from plants).
What do you think, would this be a efficient setup?

Have you checked your co2 level ?
I leave mine on 24/7 fish don't seem to care

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is no harm in 24/7 co2 as long as the levels are not toxic. Just beware of wildly fluctuating levels because it can trigger algae bloom even if levels are never toxic.

I thought levels stay constant instead of co2 being on and off
Like ph not fluctuating

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom