How to set up a CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just thinking of starting a thread about help setting up CO2. I have an 80 gallon tank and am looking into it. How big is that paintball co2 tank, and how long do you think it will last? What are you using as a diffuser?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was just thinking of starting a thread about help setting up CO2. I have an 80 gallon tank and am looking into it. How big is that paintball co2 tank, and how long do you think it will last? What are you using as a diffuser?

I am using a 24 oz paintball tank. I run between 3-5 BPS for about 7-8 hours per day. The tank lasts about 4.5 months per refill. I use an inexpensive ceramic/glass diffuser which is placed under the current of the HOB filter. Not the most efficient means of CO2 distribution and a bit unsightly with the fine bubbles in the water, but the drop checkers stay green to greenish yellow in my 20g tank. I run medium to high light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just set up my first diy setup and what i did was used the bamboo stick next to my filter intake. Makes nice small bubbles that easily get sucked into the intake without having to drill a hole.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For an 80 gal you may consider a 5 or 10lb co2 tank. It will be more expensive out of the gate, however the fittings and seals are better imho. Also, it will be cheaper to refill and last you much longer.

Just my two Abraham Lincolns.

Is a pH Controller necessary? I'm debating between the Milwaukee combo (controller and regulator) or the green leaf complete system (without the controller).

Also, I read that proper nutrition supplementation is required with the CO2 system. Could someone please point me in the right direction where I can read up on this (I'm very new to this)?

Thanks

I personally use a drop checker, much cheaper option. However controllers are a good idea.

To each his own!

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Is a CO2 system required for plants?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Depends on the amount of light. All plants will benefit from the addition of CO2, however, in lower light the extra CO2 will probably not be utilized. I'd say definitely for high light, not necessary for low light, and maybe for medium light.

How much does a setup like that cost and does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap(under 50$) setup. I have also never used CO2 in my aquarium before either, and I don't even know if it is going to benefit my lilies. I do know it should help with the algae growth, I have considerably more green algae water since increasing the duration of light to 16 hours a day(which I am told is a necessity for my king blue tropical waterlily)
I have considered attaching c02 diffusers to one of my air pumps, but I have no idea if it will work.
I priced a c02 canister like sticky has and it was like 120$.
The only other option I have found is a 20$ product that I like is kind of like the DIY setups but the plastic container with the yeast and whatever else comes ready to use and lasts 6 weeks, and it's only 10$ for a 4-pack of replacements. It looks simple to set up(like an air pump but instead of the pump is a solution that produces c02.
Any advice I can get would be great, I have some brand new lights coming in the next couple weeks(36" finnex 24/7 planted and 36" t8) and I want to get the c02 going first so I don't have an algae breakout.

I was taking a look at solenoid valves for the co2 systems. I'm new to this too, and don't have a single part to a co2 system.

I got a feeling it would be cheaper to piece together the parts and was just researching these solenoid valves, and they are quite inexpensive. Is this something you would suggest I need a specific brand? Or is one solenoid valve just like the rest?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431410789471.jpg
    1431410789471.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 343
liquid co2

i have read alot of advice i have used api co2 boster honestly yes is can melt plants at times but i got moneywort,hornwort,amazon swords &cabomba have not melted but it wont do good with red ludwigia,scarlet temple as far as i have seen but i use aqueon colormax T8s 18 inch api co2 booster and plant gro in my 50 gallon:dance::thanks:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1194165https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-8Hn2vc6M this is after 1 week use
11874063_921845917888773_1477398324_n.jpg
11221293_921843741222324_7024270249483685355_n.jpg

by the way.
If you have some problems with a stability of DIY CO2 soda reactor, try this scheme. In my experience, I had constant pressure's growing in the original chinese system. With these change, I have absolutely stable system. The last loading (acide 300g+400ml of water; soda 400g+minimal amount of water enough to cover soda) still working for mt 75G tank after 3 weeks.

You will be unable to start this system in the common way; anyway, it was pretty annoying. I using an air pump / compressor for car or bicycle; it's fast and controlled.

The scheme is:
101942-albums14407-picture69200.jpg

I’ve seen several posts lately asking questions on regulated CO2 systems. A lot of people (myself included) seem a little overwhelmed or intimidated by the set up process. I am posting photos the hook up I did last night. Mine is a Milwaukee MA957, with a built in solenoid and bubble counter, but the general consensus is that the assembly is basically the same. More than anything, I hope to show the timid among us that it is actually a very simple process. I also disliked the instructions on the box. They are printed on the opposite side of the parts diagram. You have to keep turning the box around to figure out what they are referring to.

This is my first time doing this.

It was 100% easier to put together and start than any of the numerous DIY systems I’ve made.

My CO2 cylander is a 20 gallon size (long story) and so I have to lay it on its side to hide it under the tank, so the bubble counter was taken off and rethreaded into the solenoid to stand upright, so it may look a little different than other setups, but the assembly process will be exactly the same.

The only tool needed was a large adjustable wrench. Also, make sure you have a check valve if one wasn’t included (mine didn’t) in your setup. Stainless or brass is best. Plastic will work for awhile, but CO2 will degrade it after awhile. You will also save yourself a lot of work and expense later if you start with CO2 grade tubing. Run-of-the-mill airline tubing will work, but will also degrade over the months and will need to be replaced often.

So here goes!

Hold the regulator upside down and seat the O ring into the neck where the regulator will screw onto the canister. This is what will seal the regulator. One side of the O ring is bigger around than the other. The smaller side goes face down into the regulator and the larger side will face into the cylinder.

View attachment 26791

With your fingers, gently twist the brass nut onto the stem of the cylinder. When you hear a light pop you will know you have achieved a seal.

View attachment 26792

Use the wrench to tighten down further. I wrapped the nut with a paper towel to prevent scratching up the brass, which is very soft and easy to scratch with tools. Turn until it is snug. You don’t want to wrench it down too hard.

View attachment 26793

Tada!

View attachment 26794

(I haven't figured out how to be able to attach more than four photos at a time on a thread, so I am just going to post the rest of this in a reply right after this. Hopefully, no one will post a reply before I finish up and the photos will be in the correct order I placed them.)

I've just seen this post now, and I know it's an old post but what kind of regulator valve are you using? I am looking at starting a planted tank and I have seen plenty of solenoid regulators on ebay for a decent price but I don't want to spend cheap money for cheap product. If you have any advice of what to buy where I would appreciate the help :] thanks!

Green Leaf Aquariums has quality co2 products. A bit pricey but worth it IMO.

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Scottish - while there are a large number of great CO2 units on the market, the one used in this sticky is a Milwaukee.

I see now that I made this post over five years ago. I can tell you that the unit I put together is still in service and has worked flawlessly in all that time.

I bought and put together a second Milwaukee about six months later, and it too is still in service with little or no fuss over the years. This first one is on a 30 gallon cube, the second on a 300 gallon (yes 300) planted tank.

I really don't see how you can go wrong buying a Milwaukee unit. They are available from several sources online for just under $100, not including the co2 tank or tubing.

Thanks for the info :] still debating the co2 system but knowing yours is still running makes the thought of purchasing one a little less unsettling. :]

Back
Top Bottom