How to set up a leaf substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to make a "new look" to my freshwater tank by adding leaves which lay on the gravel. Where can I find leaves and what leaves are appropriate? How do I prepare them? How much should I add in a 25 gallon tank? How often do you change them? Do I take them out every time I do a water change?

I also want to add them to trigger my neon tetras to breed.

If you get almond leaves from a reputable source I wouldn't do much of any prep. Just float them in your tank for a few days and they will sink naturally. All the while releasing very valuable tannins into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know where to get almond leaves. Can oak and horsechestnut leaves suffice?

You realize almond leaves will stain the water and decompose on the substrate??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The staining of the water is what naturally occurs in the wild. It makes your fish feel much more at home, promoting more natural behavior ie spawning. After two or three weeks yes they will begin to break down but you simply remove the decaying ones and put in a few fresh ones.

The staining of the water is what naturally occurs in the wild. It makes your fish feel much more at home, promoting more natural behavior ie spawning. After two or three weeks yes they will begin to break down but you simply remove the decaying ones and put in a few fresh ones.

These decaying leafs are generally only found (and used) in blackwater areas/setups.
I've never heard of them being used anywhere but said blackwater tanks. Be careful with the word 'wild' it's very broad.
But OP once they decay, or begin to, you want to take them out and put new ones in if desired. Alex made a good point in saying they're used to create that natural feel in fish like Apistos and promote spawns.

It's not that simple, they break down and become the substrate, not all "wild" waters are stained either. Certain fish will appreciate the stained waters, some won't care either way.

It's not that simple, they break down and become the substrate, not all "wild" waters are stained either. Certain fish will appreciate the stained waters, some won't care either way.

100% true, I was very broad in my statement, but obviously not all fish like these leaves. But those hailing from black water areas or areas of very slow moving water where decaying plant mater stains the water would love them. Good examples, some gouramis, Bettas, some tetras. Idk exact fish necessarily as I am not educated in others but my dwarf gouramis spawned days after I put these in my tank and they are MUCH more active, it's almost like shade for them.

You realize almond leaves will stain the water and decompose on the substrate??

Yes I know. I really want to turn my water brown :p to get the blackwater look ;)

Serious breeders set up species only tanks. I doubt you will ever breed egg layers in such a mixed community tank.

Larger groups are often better.

I would add more plants, stop trying to mess with your pH and enjoy your fish.

If you want to breed something, start with an egg layer that's not as difficult as the Tetras.

Since you have 2 sick fish, something is off with your tank. You need your own test kit. API Master Test Kit is the usual one.

Anytime I have something off in my tanks, my first act is a large water change. Usually 50%.

If you do decide to try breeding again. You should also research about types of food. Most serious breeders feed tetras live foods to condition them.

I've seen breeding behavior from my fish just after water changes with slightly cooler water and also with the almond leaves and also when my tanks have lots of plants and the water is very very clean and they've been getting a variety of frozen and live food.

Just understand you aren't going to make money breeding fish. Most stores will only give you credit for the fish and it will usually be a fraction of the retail price. So if you want to breed fish, breed a species that you really want to breed, that is possible to breed and don't think about making money on this because typically you won't.

Community tanks are not typically successful breeding set ups. Dividers can stress the fish.

Consider setting up a 5-10g tank and breeding Cherry Shrimp. Much easier and they don't eat their eggs or babies. No fish in their tank, except Otos if it's 10g or larger.

But you have to stay on top of maintenance. You have to do your water changes every single week.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421866326.543896.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421866344.128745.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421866362.043735.jpg

I would never want to discourage someone from breeding fish. I think it's a great thing to do. But I think you need to slow down and step back and do more research so you're not wasting time and money.

Here's what a few almond leaves a month, lots of dw and tetra blackwater will do..most of the leaf litter gets pushed to the back by filters.

Attachments

• 1421866673723.jpg
    1421866673723.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 87
If you want a black water type tank just go a pet store and pick up a piece of mopani driftwood. It will release tons of tannins and is what I have in my tetra tank. Also dried oak leaves when they fall off at the end of the season and have turned brown can be used. I think my good sized chunk of mopani cost 7.99 at petco and it doesn't rot and will continue to leach tannins. Alison

But note that heavily tannic tanks, don't grow plants, or not much.
Not enough light penetrates the water.

And even with Blackwater a community tank still won't be ideal for breeding fish.

Thanks. I don't really mind if my fish don't breed. I just want to try a blackwater environment for a change. I've kept fish for 5 years now. The albino corydoras died and the neon tetra's still alive.

Anyway, would it be better if I went into the forest in search of some oak leaves or should I just buy almond leaves from eBay? And how do I prepare them?

You don't need to do anything to IAL aka almond leaves to prepare them. You just put them in the tank. (they come already dried)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally use IAL in my tanks. That's only thing I can recommend not having used oak leaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom