How to take plant clippings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I take plant clippings that I can replants? Here are my two good plants they are Walmart aponogenous I think that is how you spell it
thanks in advance -josh

Attachments

• image-2189946945.jpg
    image-2189946945.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1894399119.jpg
    image-1894399119.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 62
greetings.

crypt plants have a "base" from where they form leaves, when the plant spreads you will see leaves appear from a new "base", you can then seperate the two by cutting the roots connecting them, and both sould survive.

i am willing to attach a picture if you want to see an example.

A picture of what to look for would be AWESONE! Thanks because I don't understand what you mean by second base

i checked my crypts and none of them has formed a new leaf base after i rearranged everything in my aquarium and densely cut back on the crypts.

so here is a rushly made draft depicting how your typical crypt spreads.

33369-albums10657-picture45724.jpg

that's very hard to say, it varies depending on alot of factors.

in my tank i took early-stage leaf bases from different species of crypt and planted, mid light good fert and co2. it's been about 3 weeks and none of them has formed a new leaf base, they've grown alot though.

before i rearranged my tank, one of my crypts had 30-40 leaf bases after about one and a half years of growing freely, it was massive.

You may want to check on using root tabs to get them to get bushier and spread. Also some liquid ferts too for the water. Mine quadrupled in thickness/number of leaves when some one gave me Ferka Stemma capsules. This brand is hard to find but there are other root tabs/capsules. Buy good quality and bury them deeply, it helps so they don't cloud the water.

That is great info on how to propagate crypts. You have Aponogeton's which come from bulbs. I know they can form daughter plants that need to be left grow and develop roots and then you can carefully snap them loose from the parent plant (be sure to get the roots also) and then you can plant them.

Back
Top Bottom