How to up my lighting the cheap way.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I have a 25 gallon tall heavily planted tank. I need to up my lighting because my glosso is growing vertically and not horizontally and my rotala colorata is not turning pink. I have a current nova x2 t5ho 2x24 watt. I am getting right at 2wpg. What do you guys suggest for me to up my lighting? I want to keep my current fixture on and just add another fixture. Preferably DYI. Suggestions? Metal halide, another t5ho fixture, cfls??

pleechford said:
Hey guys. I have a 25 gallon tall heavily planted tank. I need to up my lighting because my glosso is growing vertically and not horizontally and my rotala colorata is not turning pink. I have a current nova x2 t5ho 2x24 watt. I am getting right at 2wpg. What do you guys suggest for me to up my lighting? I want to keep my current fixture on and just add another fixture. Preferably DYI. Suggestions? Metal halide, another t5ho fixture, cfls??

there's a thread in sw were a guy is using 20 watt led flood lights and they are working to grow coral as far as i know. I think they are around 40 - 60 bucks each 2 should get u what u want cheap

Yes I use reflectors. This reflector on my fixture now is supposed to be top of the line.

image-55230290.jpg

Do you think I should get 2 6500k bulbs would that help?

image-585606597.jpg

This is my glosso. I trimmed about 2 days ago and still is growing tall.

Hi nice reflectors(y) How old are the tubes? As they lose intensity after awhile. As for the 6500K tubes, could be worth a try before investing in another form of lighting?

Hi nice photo's(y) Also do you use fertilisers for your plants? Do any of your plants 'pearl' {produce oxygen bubbles}

Thanks! I just use flourish comprehensive. I want to get into dry ferts but I don't know much about it. Also I just upped my co2 to try it out to see if I wasn't getting enough co2 and my Riccia is pearling right now :) I want to get a better diffuser. I have a standard glass one and I'm losing so much co2. How can I get my plants to pearl really well?

Hi mine only 'pearl' after a water change?:oops: I would guess its all about getting the balance right between - lights, fertiliser and Co2:) so a little trial and error is needed to get to your perfect mixture:)

Okay sweet. I think I need more lighting for sure. I just don't know how because I'm not trying to spend much since my current light fixture was like 125 bucks.

You can go on eBay. I needed to replace 2 older fixtures that came with the tank and there are a bunch on ebay. I didn't end up buying one but I looked at most. I ended up getting another DeepBlue like my other 2 HO's.

t5 aquarium light | eBay

I also saw some on YouTube grow glosso effectively using the construction reflectors and CFLs? I could try a cfl flood light or a regular cfl 6500k and a reflector to see if that'll work? What do you guys think since I have those reflectors already.

stingrays4 said:
Hi nice reflectors(y) How old are the tubes? As they lose intensity after awhile. As for the 6500K tubes, could be worth a try before investing in another form of lighting?

Okay do I double checked the bulbs I have now. I have one 12000k bulb and a aqua flora bulb. I don't feel as if it is a good growth set up. Should I replace the 12000k with a 6500k or 8000k? I just low the crisp white color I get with the 12000k bulb but I know it's doing nothing for my plants...

Back
Top Bottom